RAM Dilemma

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Merlin, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

Here is my problem, I am putting together a high end gaming system and wondered what RAM to choose. The mobo I want (DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR) has only 4 memory slots.

I have narrowed it down to two models;

two lots of 2x512 Geil one PC3200 CAS 1.5-2-2-5 (4x512mb)
    or
    Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX CAS 2-3-3-6 (4x1GB)

So what RAM will give the better performance? 2 GB of CAS 1.5 or 4 GB of CAS 2?

I play alot of BF2 which is a total RAM hog. Any input is apreiciated :)

2. Addis

Addis The King

At the moment, there is no need to have more than 2GB of RAM, 2GB RAM itself is very rarely beneficial; but I have heard that for BF2 it could be useful.

So I'd recommend the 2GB of lower latency Geil RAM (which is very highly reharded).

Also can you post the rest of the system you're thinking to build?

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well with the GeiL One series, the DFI LP motherboards are a good option as that's what they test the RAM on...because of the extensive overclocking options and voltage adjustments etc.
    Go with 2GB of GeiL One series RAM.

4. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

Im thinking of getting:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 90nm CPU

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740GD 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache

BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 512MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) or HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI

Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Blue

5. Addis

Addis The King

For performance, the GTX 512 is a better choice I think.

I've heard bad things about Hiper, so just to be sure get one from Antec, Thermaltake, Enermax or Sparkle.

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I know people around here may be shocked to hear me say this, but I tend to agree with Adiis, go nVidia. Oh and by the way, no, hell did not just freeze.

7. Tag

Tag Geek Trainee

Those Geil do sound nice. Bit on the pricey side tho.
    Couple of things about this, the new DFI is out. The 'Expert' of that one, or something.
    Also, I have (and am VERY pleased with) a matched 2x512 OCZ GX EL Gold-s. They run fine at 400mhz (managed, but not too stable 466) with 2-2-2-5 (not quite the Geil on timings [BF2 will appreciate] but still damn good). Also, you CAN lower the CMD rate (Oh my sweet lord it outdoes itself with this) to 1. I only managed with 333. But the boost in timing was noticable. You might be able to get more out of it with better cooling + the DFI than I did.
    Also the ram is high-voltage warrantied. up to 3.2v I think. Nice.

Yes, the Nvidia is better. But is a big ass mutha. Think it takes up more than its fair share of space, Id be worried about the slot beneath it. But the heatsink is the big part which therefore makes it a lot quieter and cooler.

And with the money your shovelling out here, might as well go X2 or FX with processor.

Edit:

Just found, the newer (apparently cooler) VTX (something to do with a big honeycomb heatspreader) of the RAM I suggested is only $70 per 512. There is a 1g version as well. Hmm....

8. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

Yeah I have seen the new DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT, but I dont like the positioning of the RAM slots on this mobo. On the DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR the RAM slots are horizontal, above the cpu.

[​IMG]

This is important to me as I have just bought the CoolerMaster Stacker case with cross-flow fan. The fan is great (inaudible at medium speed) and should blow cool air over the RAM.

Anyway back to the RAM:D Im planning to have this machine for a good few years so I wanted to make sure that it would last it. Will games in the next 2-3 years need more than 2 GB of RAM? Or would it still be ok with the 2GB of Geil One?

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

You should be fine with the 2GB of RAM.
    The GeiL is quoted to run at 500MHz with timings of 2-2-2-5, that's pretty damn impressive if you ask me.
    4GB at the moment is just overkill, if you're really concerned get the Corsair but only 2GB (2 x 1GB), then if you feel you need more in the future get more of the same RAM, although they may not make that RAM anymore so it is a bit risky, you could always try and find some similar stuff in the future but you'd need to make sure the RAM is very similar, different timings etc can cause instability.