Ram for A64+ 3200

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Gh0sTRaiD, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

hi guys and happy holiday to all

anyways i was told that i can't use my current 512 ddr ram for the new A64+ 3200 that i'm gonna be upgrading to along with the

MSI K8T Neo2-F VIA K8T800Pro w/ GB LAN, Audio motherboard.

i don't know wat type of ram i'm suppose to buy for this but i'm looking for a good 512 that would cost $200 canadian, so any suggestion?

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

First off your going to need to get minimum PC3200 (DDR400) as the 64's use a 200Mhz FSB = DDR400. However if you ever want to overclock or, perhaps allow for a processor upgrade in a few months time, i suggest getting something faster than PC3200, this will allow for overclocking as the memory will be capable of faster FSB speeds.

You really should go for:
    A Dual Channel Kit (eg: 512MB Dual Channel Kit = 2 x 256MB Identical Modules) and go for speeds of: PC3500/PC3700/PC4000/PC4200/PC4400

As for the brand of memory, go for:
    GeIL Ultra Series
    OCZ Gold Series
    Crucial Ballistix

From what I can see, these are the three top contenders at the moment, however if you are not after massive performance or most of all overclocking potential look at:
    Corsair Value Select Range
    GeIL Golden Value Range
    Kingston Standard Range

These are also all very good, especially the GeIL, i've overclocked my GeIL Golden Value PC3200 from 200Mhz to 233Mhz (DDR466 = PC3700 speeds)

For the money over here in the UK you might be able to get 1GB cheap memory, however i think you should get 512MB of really good performance memory, especially with the board you are getting.

Gh0sTRaiD likes this.
  3. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

Thx ProcalX, i pinned down ur brand suggestion and here wat i got

DDR SDRAM - 184-pin DIMM
    OCZ Value Series 512MB PC3200 DDR400 $95

OCZ Technology DDR Memory - 184-pin DIMMSingle Channel DDR Kits
    PC3500 DDR433 512MB Premier Series $125

Dual Channel Optimized DDR Kits
    PC3700 DDR466 256MBx2 ocz $199
    PC4200 DDR533 256MBx2 CAS3 ocz $208
    PC3200 DDR400 512MBx2 CAS2.5 ocz $249

in canadian money

i'm interested in the PC4200 DDR533 256MBx2 but then da PC3200 DDR400 512MBx2 give one gig and yet its a PC3200 only, so which one is better guys?

4. Addis

Addis The King

If you want to get a GB of RAM then I suggest getting 2 512mb sticks of PC3500 or higher if you want for oc. But if you only need 512mb for now then juat get 1 stick. Then you can always get a second module when you need to upgrade with extra expansion available.

5. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

addis this one ur talking about?

OCZ Technology DDR Memory - 184-pin DIMM Single Channel DDR Kits
    Premier Series
    PC3500 DDR433 512MB Premier Series (OCZ433512P) w/o heatspreader $125

is this one any good? it's kinda cheap for a 512, if so i can buy 2 of these to make it 1GB for only $250 plus tax

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Basically PC3500 is DDR433 which means you can safely clock your FSB to: 216Mhz so realistically you could clock the FSB upto 230-240Mhz but then that means max OC ur gonna get is 300-400mhz more than what your processor is standard..

I would really really recommend getting 2x256MB of the FASTEST memory you can, as it means it will last you along time.. and its plenty for games and apps.. espeically if you have a good graphics card.

You really should get PC4000 or better.

It's always better to get less memory at higher performance, then get more later, as the memory will last you alot longer, and give you a much better performance margin.

7. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

ya i know what u mean and i'm really interested in the

PC4200 DDR533 256MBx2 CAS3 ocz $208

so u think this one is good ProcalX? ......or

PC4400 DDR550 256MBx2 ocz $222 but i can't get any info on this one at ocz site.

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

9. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

oh dang da pc4400 i was talking about is da Performance Series not gold edition thats y its only $222 but for gold edition its $269. these chips prices r sky rocket.

can u tell me y gold edition is better?

10. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Gold Edition allows for serious overclocking, ie PC4400 is meant to run at 275Mhz (which on a AMD64 processor if you ran your FSB @ 275Mhz you would be running your cpu @ 2.75GHZ :O however you can run alot faster than this, you could run easily 300Mhz (3.0GHZ) However you would have to have serious cooling..

+ u can get incredibly tight memory timings on your system which allows for faster memory performance.

And it also allows you to use your memory in newer systems or upgrades in the future, without replacing your memory again..

Go for the OCZ Gold

11. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Also PLEASE PLEASE remember that you will need to have a VERY good powersupply, not some cheap generic brand.

If you don't get a good powersupply you risk destroying all your new parts..

Powersupply wise i recommend that you get 440W or Higher (the highest you can) from one of these makes:

Tagan
    OCZ
    Antec
    ThermalTake

12. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

wow that's some serious chip but i have to consider about it due to i know i won't be OC ing it to that much cause after all this i can't afford for no crazy cooling.

13. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

icic, wow the ocz power supply looks wicked. but out of all da brand thermaltake is da cheapest and da design looks pretty nice too. i can get a 480w power for $99 =)

14. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Its the power supply i use :good: its very good and u can control the fans in it, with fan controllers that are supplied.

Go for the PC4000 or PC4200 then if you are not going to overclock atleast you cut the price slightly, and it will still last u a while.

15. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

which one r u talking about? da ocz or the thermaltake?

u say da gold edition allows to OC up to 2.7 or 3ghz right? wat about the Performance Series pc4400?

16. Addis

Addis The King

ProcalX = Power Supply Guru Freak lol

:good:

17. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

i think he is talking about the thermaltake i just read about it and they come with da fan controller.

so ya how much can OC with the Performance Series pc4400?

18. Addis

Addis The King

With PC4400 RAM its not the RAM that won't oc since its guarunteed to go to 550mhz stable.

19. Gh0sTRaiD

Gh0sTRaiD Geek Trainee

does that mean its guarunteed to OC up to 550mgz? sry i'm noobie

20. Addis

Addis The King

PC4400/8=550.
    Think thats it.