RAM Issue Installed/Total/Available

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by jaredc, Mar 14, 2009.

1. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

I just built a new computer. Everything works great, however i'm wondering if it isn't using all the RAM i put in.

I installed 6 gb's (2gb x 3, gskill, 1333 ddr3) into a PT6 MOBO. Bios reads it just fine.

When i stumbled into system information, i found that...

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) is 6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory is 1.99 GB

Available Physical Memory is 3.98 GB

Is this completely normal? Or do i need to set the system up further to utilize all the RAM??? :confused:

System Specs
    64 bit Windows Vista Ultimate
    CPU: i7 920
    RAM: 6gb (3 x 2) Gskill 1333 RAM
    MOBO: ASUS PT6
    PSU: Corsair TX 750
    HDD: Hitachi 250 GB

And a side note, what should i set my virtual memory to, or should i let the system manage it? Its currently at 12gb Total, and 10GB available

2. zeus

zeus out of date

I just let windows make its own dogs dinner of virtual memory... I dont really understand why its always in use so I just let it do its own thing.

To be honest my first thought when I read you post was that maybe you have read it wrong.

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) is 6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory is 1.99 GB

Available Physical Memory is 3.98 GB

1.99gb in use, 3.98 available and 6gb installed. 2+4=6

Maybe try pcwizard and see what that says.
    CPUID

3. tuxified

tuxified Geek Trainee

Are you sure it's an X58 Intel chipset ?

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Doesnt matter about what chipset you got. Zeus is right, 1.99gb in use and 3.98 available. If the bios picks it up right and you got 64 bit OS your all good. You also gotta remember the X58 the memory controller is not located on the chipset anymore its intergrated onto the Cpu. thats one of the main reasons why the X58 is a better performer than the core 2 quads.

5. tuxified

tuxified Geek Trainee

Yes this has certainly advantages and disadvantages, as far as supporting new memory architectures applies upgrading CPU.
    Speaking of which, I was wondering is it still rellevant to check chipset supported frequencies whenever we need to upgrade memory ?

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

yes, most of the X58 motherboards support upto 2000mhz of tripple channel ddr3 anyway, but you should always check the maximum memory speed you board supports before going out and buying any.