ram probs

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by ins, Sep 24, 2002.

1. ins

ins Geek Trainee

Hi,
    day b4 yesterday i installed win2k + service pack 2

it ran stable for a whole day , until yesterday i bought another 256 mb ddr ram .. after i put it in , everything was stable for about 1-2 hrs .. then suddenly in-game some error message .. then computer freezed ..

after reboot i could stay for about 30 secs in windows , until the computer rebooted itself again (even without me doin anything)

then i put out the ram again , and everysthing seemed to work again they way it should ..

then i tried putting them in AGAIN , again it went allright for about 1 hr , until suddenly i got a bluescreen telling me something about a missing or broken file called "ntosKRNL.exe" .. so i rebooted .. didnt work t hou , cause it didnt find the file :"( :"( ...

so i wanted to boot from the win2k cd ... doesnt work either , cause my 2 cd rom drives are gone (?!) ..

anyhow , could it be possible that those problems only arise cause of dust in the ram - slot ? i had heaps in there , i could clean out most of it but some is still stuck down there : /..

if yes , how could i get it out of there ?

pleeeaeaaaasseeee help

2. syngod

syngod Moderator

I doubt it's a dust problem although if it's really bad cleaning it probably isn't a bad idea.

I'm guessing becase you said it occurs with a new stick the problem is either bad ram, ram your motherboard doesn't like or you have a bad ram slot on your mb.

I'd try taking the stick back to the place you purchased it from and have them test it or if you have another pc or a friend's system you can use try testing it in it. If it works in those enviroments I'd try updating the bios on your MB, check to see if they have any warnings about certain types of ram and if that doesn't work I'd guess it's a motherboard problem.

3. ins

ins Geek Trainee

true ..

but the weird thing is that it always works for about 2 hrs ..
    i tried putting the new ram into the place the old ram was before .. and it worked .. then i tried putting the old ram into the new (unuseD) slot (i left the new one in the "old" slot) and it worked .. but only for 2hrs .. i dont get it .. just reboots :/

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

Try only having your new stick of ram in your first ram slot and see if it remains stable. If it does it's either a moterboard problem or your system doesn't like having the two sticks in at once.

Are you using 2 different brands? If so that may cause the latter as I've seen systems cause problems after adding a stick of name brand memory into a system that came with a generic stick.