RAM support voltage question

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by mjdeez, Jan 31, 2004.

1. mjdeez

mjdeez Geek Trainee

I'm looking at an Asus MB, but I'm not sure about the RAM. Actually, the only thing I'm unsure about is the support voltage. The specs on different RAM vary around 2.5 to 2.8V. Asus's datasheet & web page are no help. Is the RAM support voltage a critical parameter that I should keep in mind when buying or will the MB automatically regulate to the proper voltage? MB is P4G800-V, btw.

Thanks,
    -Mike

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you're overclocking, overvolting the ram is nice, but if not, you're not going to need anything that will do over 2.5-2.6V. By default, it should be somewhere between 2.5-2.6 anyway.

3. mjdeez

mjdeez Geek Trainee

I may or may not overclock; I probably won't need to. I ended up getting the Kingston HyperX, set of 2 matched 256, PC3200, just in case I want to OC.

Is the support voltage something that's set in the BIOS/jumpers? e.g. set up as a default or something at 2.5V, but user programmable to a spec'ed max, set by RAM manufacturers (in my case it would be 2.6V)?

I'm assuming the RAM support voltage is the VCC for the RAM, but not sure. Google has failed me.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's probably labled Vram