RAM upgrade causes strange problems

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by thomas234, Jun 28, 2008.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Hi,

A friend of mine has upgraded his RAM to 2gb. Previously he had 512mb, but we checked online on the MSI website, and it stated his motherboard could support upto 2gb PC6400 RAM. He removed the 512mb module, and inserted the 2gb stick. Now when he boots, his PC doesn't recognise the hard disk first time, then when he resets the PC, it does. However, Windows only shows 1gb of RAM.

The first problem I have encountered myself, but that was due to an old hard drive being plugged into a fast machine, and the HDD took too long to start spinning. I doubt very much this is the cause of the problem, as it has only started occouring when the RAM was inserted.

As for the second problem, I have given him a disk with MemTest86+ on, and shown him what to do to run a test. I do not yet know the results. Also, I don't know how much RAM his BIOS is recognising, although I suspect it will be 1gb.

I will have access to his PC on wednesday, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try. I plan to take the RAM out of mine and try it (I have 2 x 1gb). I also plan to take a Linux LiveCD and see how much that recognises. This is assuming MemTest doesn't find some errors. If it does, he will take the RAM back to CCL.

Thanks, Thomas

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well is he sure it is actually a 2Gb stick ?

because he could have been accidentally have being sold a 1Gb stick, try the RAM in another system first & if it detect 1Gb then the chances are he has a 1Gb stick

accidents do happen, 2Gb looks very similar to 1Gb unless it's labeled

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Thanks donkey!

btw, where the f*** has the Thanks! button gone?? I really don't like what's happened to the forum recently...

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

np
    dunno, maybe the stoned donkey in my new sig pic smoked it
    thats progress for you, unappreciative tw4t

BTW:jk

Edit: @thomas: i've no doubt you would / will find the same, but, it'll hopefully save you some time if that is the problem

5. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

:D Yep sounds like me! I'll get used to it soon enough.

I think I'm getting old, you hear old people complain when things change and they don't know how to navigate their way around!

Also, eBay seems to have changed and I've spent ages trying to find the buy it now only option. Still can't find it!!! Also, in FF3 (which is now my default browser) seems to randomly go back a page when on ebay!!!!!!

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:confused: your getting old, bo11ocks your still a kid @ less than half my age, if you think your old what hope is there for me :confused:

Edit:
    on ebay "buy it now" still exists but only if someone specifies they want rid of the item ASAP
    [​IMG]

Source

7. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Yes donkey I'm aware of how buy it now works thanks, but when doing a search, I want only to view items which are buy it now. There used to be an option at the top to filter out auctions, but it's disappeared!

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

dunno then[ot]grandma, you suck eggs like this, shlurp shlurp shlurp[/ot]