Random CPU (High) nothing running

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by JamieKimp, Mar 9, 2009.

1. JamieKimp

JamieKimp Geek Trainee

Hi everyone.

I am having a hair-pull-out time.
    My computers CPU is jumping from 2% - 100% with no programs open. I asked eveyone I knew and they looked at the processes to see and couldn't work it out.

So

I re-installed vista Home Premium 32bit
    and the problems still there, so I swapped the laptop ram around and tried taking out, still the same.

I tried to update all the graphics, harddrive etc. drivers, they were all up-to date.

Has anyone got any ideas at all?

I have added 2x screen shots to show you an example. I ended as many processes as it would let me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jamie

Attached Files:

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

You have got 61 processes running. thats quite alot. try using msconfig to disable a few un-necessary programs. seems that one of your programs is blitzin your physical memory usage. I also noticed you have got Avast Antivirus, it has a program on that, that automatically set to backup your system files, that could also be the cause of why your system cpu and memory are getting blitzed, try disabling it in the avast menus.

Go to start > Run > type in msconfig > startup tab.

Then you can do a selective startup and stop your computer from loading up un-necessary programs.

If you dont know wt to disable, google the startup item e.g. ALCMTR.EXE
    and there's generally a guide on there to tell you if that program is necessary or not.

hope this helps.

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

Click on "Show processes for all users" in Task Manager to display all processes, not just the ones for your user account.

4. JamieKimp

JamieKimp Geek Trainee

Hi you both have been a great help.
    I disabled some of the processes as you said and the CPU has dropped to around 4% It still jumps up over 50% if I open, for example, AVG then it drops again, is this normal? I also deleted Avast completely.

Oh and there's still 48 proccess running, as I found I would need most of these.

I will let you know how it goes.

Kind regards

Jamie

5. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

it's normal, when i load my antivirus up i get a sudden spike to 24% then it drops back to 0%, but im running a quad core cpu. since your running a dual core cpu 50% spike sounds about right.

6. Dartht33bagger

Dartht33bagger Geek Trainee

MSconfig can mess your system up if you use it for a long time. To turn off processes correctly you should get a program called codestuff starter.

7. JamieKimp

JamieKimp Geek Trainee

Hi, I disabled msconfig. I have noticed my security center won't start now.(not becuase of that)
    This is what I have tried to get it working so far:

1. Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box, and press Enter.

2. In the Services console, double-click the service called Security Center, change the Startup Type to Automatic (Delayed Start), and click Start under Service status.

3. After that, please open Security Center to check if the issue is resolved.

But it reads: Windows could not start security center ... (please look at screen shot for reference)

Please refer to screen shots to see what services I am running.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

8. RHochstenbach

Try to Stop and Disable the Windows Search service. Its indexing features has an impact on the CPU and HDD usage. Open the item Windows Search in services.msc. Click on Stop, and then at the Startup Type, choose Disabled.

9. JamieKimp

JamieKimp Geek Trainee

Thanks I think it was already done. It did make a big difference :)

Any ideas on the security center ;)

10. RHochstenbach

At the Service screen of Security Center, click on Dependencies. Then, look at the services listed, and make sure that these are all started.

11. JamieKimp

JamieKimp Geek Trainee

Hi,

I have posted a 'Print Screen' to show what happened.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

12. RHochstenbach

Go to Start and enter MSCONFIG. At the Processes tab, make sure that everything is checked there. If it's already checked, then I'd suggest to do a virus scan. I got the feeling that a virus is messing up your services (especially the Security Center).

13. JamieKimp

JamieKimp Geek Trainee

14. Dartht33bagger

May also want to try turning it off, rebooting, and turning it back on. Fixed it for me once after a new install of windows.

15. JamieKimp

JamieKimp Geek Trainee

Where abouts is 'rebooting'?

Cheers

16. Dartht33bagger

Go to start menu, turn off computer, then click reboot.