Random restarts...didn't change a thing

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by outinnowhere31, Dec 22, 2009.

1. outinnowhere31

outinnowhere31 Geek Trainee

Alright I know nothing about this laptop. It's a HP dv2715nr I bought it offa ebay and also bought 4gb of ram. When I got the computer I knew it wouldn't boot. It had the vista but I love my xp professional 32bit so I didn't even bother with the vista. I just partitioned, formatted and installed. Things was fine I used the laptop for about 2 maybe 3 weeks and then outta the blue. Random restarts.

I disabled the automatic restarts but it restarted anyways. I download the blue screen viewer and it showed HAL.DLL had a error. Looked it up a little and didn't really find a fix on it. In the mean time it restarted atleast I'd say another 10 - 15 times and ever time is was the HAL.DLL.

I formatted and reinstalled..thought screw it I'll by pass it. Reinstalled and same problem and same file name......if I boot in safe mode it won't restart.

I installed windows 7.... it did it's checks all was good. I've done scandisk atleast like 5 different times...all different programs... I've used 3 different ram checkers and I used a program that's suppose to stress the computer...but all in all everything has passed.

Oh I did reinstall the old ram and it didn't change anything... I've tried going from 2 sticks to just one.

Is it my motherboard or what?

Any help will be very much appreciated I've been playing for about a week now on and off and can't figure it out.. I got a friend that's like me does a little bit of it and he's stumped as well.

Thanks Jeremy

2. outinnowhere31

outinnowhere31 Geek Trainee

hmm...14 views so far and not one comment? :( lol