Reaching out for help- Game freeze, sound loop, graphics disrupt

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by SeanB, Mar 12, 2009.

1. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

Hi all,

I'm here as the latest step to fix my computer. I've been through several steps but thus far, have had absolutely no luck (although I have managed to learn a thing or two along the way.)

First, the villian....
    AMD 6400+, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia 8800 video card, Sound Blaster audigy 4 sound card.
    It was a built system, not a store purchase.
    Runs Windows xp.

The problem...
    I got the computer built to be a gaming rig...and thus far, it does a pretty piss poor job of it.

The problem became evident soon after I bought the rig as I purchased Team Fortress 2. Frequently, the game will freeze and sound loop. If I wait for the freeze to resolve, the game eventually comes back but with the colours and graphics completely distorted. However, I can resolve either problems by hitting the Windows key on the keyboard to kick me back to desktop. When I re-enter the program, typically everything is ducky again. Until of course, it freezes again.

On other game, I will occasionally get the game freeze followed by graphics disruption.

And every so often, just for fun, the computer will give me the lovely blue screen of death and reboot.

Now, at first I thought it was a software thing with team fortress and followed every damn suggestion Steam had, short of changing my BIOS.

Since then, I've been working on it as a hardware issue. Have contacted Asus (who made the graphics card) and asked about any problems in that regard but they say theres no issues with the card. They say I may have a "bad card" and there's still steps to be taken there in sending them the serial number and see if they'll do anything.

I've also contacted various independent computer people who know various bits and pieces but I'm not real confident in. The last guy told me that its a conflict between the video card and processor because Nvidia and AMD don;t work together well.

I find that a bit hard to believe as I had a 4400+ and a Nvidia 7600GT before this system.

So compu-friends, I turn to you. I need help... Hell, any of you actually help me fix this problem and I'll send gifts from afar. But as time goes on, I just get more and more frustrated and want to take a hammer to the f'n thing.

Sean

2. Dartht33bagger

Dartht33bagger Geek Trainee

Have you tried updating to the latest drivers?

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

have you overclocked the cpu at all or RAM frequencys? could be if you overclocked it and not run prime 95 your system could be unstable.
    I would run prime 95 to see if it is stable, generally thats what causes problems if the system is unstable, you will get freezes, crashes, blue screens, it can cause all kinds of problems. I would also try running 3DMark see what happens when you run a test, see if you experience the same issues.

4. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

Have updated all drivers...no dice.

I've never overclocked it although I know that the card came with an overclocking tool.

I've never heard of prime 95.... is that a app I can download off the net? It just tells me whether the system is stable or not.

If its not stable, will it point me in the right direction?

5. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

prime 95 is an app that stress tests your cpu and ram. download it off the net, i will run checks for hours non stop at 100% cpu load, and if ur system is unstable it will either restart it self or come up with the error in the prime 95's dialog box. it will tell u what it is, processor or ram. run it for about 3hrs.

if you system is stable and everythin is running fine, i would presume you have a faulty graphics card and should RMA it.

6. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

Thanks Bobby...will try this ASAP...

How hard is it to RMA a card?

7. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

It's fairly easy to RMA a card just ring the manufacturer and request an RMA Number they will give you the address to send the card to, but make sure you put your full name address and your RMA number.

8. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

OK, so ran the prime app and it found an error pretty quick first couple of minutes and flashed up as hardware error.

I checked the read file associated and it pretty much said "hey, you're screwed" and gave a plethora of potential problems...

So whats my next move? Is this the point I wave the white flag and take it in to a tech to revamp the system?

9. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

what did it say in the dialog box? is it a ram issue or a processor issue?
    did it come up like this? FATAL ERROR:Rounding was 0.5,expected less than 0.4. Hardware failure detected.

basically that is a processor issue. I had that problem with my pc when i overclocked it all i did was increase my Vcore voltage, because when it was at full load 100% cpu use it wasnt getting enough voltage, so i had to increase it so it was getting enough voltage to stable it out.

what's your current Vcore & Vdram voltages at?

you say that you've never overclocked it so you wanna leave your frequencys as they are and just alter voltages and hopefully that will make it stable.

10. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

Thatis exactly the error that came up!

I'm not sure how to check my Vcore and Vdram voltages...what can i use to check those?

When I bought the new processor/video card combo, I had to buy a new power supply as well so I SHOULD have enough power.

11. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Vcore & Vdram voltages are in the bios. take a look in there n let me know wt the voltages are. hopefully uppin the voltages will stable your system and fix your graphics issues.

12. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

I'll try to check that tonight Bobby.... I don;t have any experiences in playing with BIOSes but I'll give it a go. I think I just need to hit a particular key when booting up.

Thanks for all your continued help...its well appreciated!

13. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

yea generally you press F2 or F11, most of the time its F2 before the bios posts. and look around it there should say vcore voltage or cpu voltage.

14. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

Any suggestions on what levels these voltages should be set at?

15. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

just need to know what the vcore and vdram voltages are currently at dude so i can judge how much to increase it by. generally they are like: vcore 1.3v and vd ram 1.8 - 2v unless its like a core I7

when you post the voltages i will recommend how much to increase it, its not gonna be a big increase just slight. (.1 maybe .2 of a volt.)

16. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

Bobby,
    OK, so got into the BIOS set up and found where the power options are...there were a number of them, including the vcore..which was about 1.3v

However, when I tried to change it, it only gave me what the value was currently at and an option to "ignore"??

17. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

DOuble checked... vcore was 1.39

18. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

try upping the Vcore voltage only to 1.45v. it should let you alter the voltage manually just go down to it and use the arrow keys on your keyboard to up the voltage. After you've done this run prime 95, run it for 3hrs and if it gets no errors your stable. If it does come up with the same error as before. up the Vcore to 1.5v. and run prime 95again. one of them voltages should make it stable. After you finished running prime 95 again and everythin is stable try running your games again.

BTW: do not go above 1.5v.

19. SeanB

SeanB Geek Trainee

Bobby,
    Tried this again but in pressing the plus or minus keys on the value, it just alternates between 1.39 and ignore.

I wonder if I'm in the wrong place? Am pressing del at startup when the motherboard screen comes up and its kicks me into Phoemix BIOSSetup.

Should I try using ignore and see what happens?

20. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, no you are in the correct place bios setup. i've never encounterd the vcore to say "ignore" so i wouldn't know wt to do. but i guess you could give it a go. because you gotta find a way to increase that vcore. so try using "ignore" it might come up with an option to manually increase the vcore. it if does like i said on the pervious post, start with 1.45v and if necessary go to 1.5v. If you still got your board manual, you could also look in there at bios configurations and it should also tell you how to adjust your vcore.