Really Strange Problem

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ProcalX, Oct 14, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Right, my pc (see My Computer on the left) is a great pc, problem i am having is overheating of the CPU.

Temperatures:
    Motherboard Monitor: CPU: 50C+ Case: 18-30C
    Bios: (on startup) CPU: 50C+ Case: 18-30C
    Case Sensors: CPU: 34-40C Idle Case: 18-30C

Basically my computer has been rebooting alot over the last few days, i've have a 3200+ Cooler on it - cost me about 7 quid lol but its been fine up until recently (no changes hardware or software wise), and as u can see my case is very cool.. in an effort to cool my cpu down and stop these annoying reboots, i put a GlobalWin 2700+ (Dual 4800rpm heatsink on) and it hasn't made any difference..

Why is my cpu running so god damn hot?

I have: Antec P160 3 fans: 1 x 120mm Antec At front vent blowing in, 1 x 92mm Fan (2500rpm) just infront of the hard drives (inbetween the harddrives and the graphics card - pushing the cold air through the case more) and one 92mm Case fan blowing out of the case..

if i put my hand at the back of the exhaust fan its ice cold, if i take the side off and put my hand on heatsink its bloody freezing.. but for some reason my cpu is overheating, and i can't understand why :mad:

I get paid next week so was thinking of just buying a really really nice Heatsink like a swiftech or a slk947U..

o.. and i even got some canned air and blew all the dust out of everything and gave my case a good clean out..

any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

is it possible that my voltages are wrong?

or my cpu is damaged?

what i might do is when i get home is put my 2500+ in my brothers amd xp machine (amd athlon 2200+) and see if it runs at the same temperature..

if it does then what is WRONG! :mad: ????

3. Addis

Addis The King

Motherboard temp sensors aren't really accurate so if it still runs at the same temperature in your brothers pc then it seems like a damaged or faulty cpu. As always, try putting some quality thermal compound on the HS.

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I wouldnt put your CPU in his machine, I would take his CPU out and put it in your machine, because if it is a damaged CPU it could screw with his machine.

If his CPU runs fine in your machine, then you would have nothing else to do but try your CPU in his machine and hope for the best.

Is your CPU overclocked or CPU voltages changed at all?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You might want to try cleaning the CPU and heatsink off and then applying a new layer of thermal paste (AS 5, AC).

But looking at the measurements on your 5V and 12V Rails, they look a bit low. It's kinda hard to tell, but the 5V looks like it's running in the 3.x V range! That's likely the source of the problems.

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

so my powersupply is not providing what is needed, and subsequently its causing overheating?

i only have one other PSU and thats an Antec 300W :/ which isn't enough for my system, unless i disconnected a dvd-rom drive, my sata drives, my tv card perhaps?

Could someone explain to me why having slightly lower voltages from the psu can cause overheating?

and i put my cpu in my brothers pc and it runs at like 34C idle and around 42C full load (60 minutes on fah) and thats merely with a very rubbish HSF and no case fans..

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Right i've just looked on ebuyer where i brought it from, and 80% of people are happy, however alot of people are saying that its not good for use with a computer 2400 or bigger, espeically the bartons, so basically i need a new psu, Antec is what i really want but i dont want to lash out on around £70 on a psu really, and what size will i need?

i suspect a 400W would be pushing it eh? go for like a 480+?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depends on the 400W unit. If it's something like Sparkle, Antec or Enermax, yeah that should be good. I haven't used Thermaltake's power supplies before, but I've heard some really good things about them and they're pretty cheap too. I think one of their Silent PurePower 480W is like $55 at Newegg here in the US, so I'm thinking that's probably about half of the figure you're looking at.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The temps are kinda high, but I don't think that's the issue here. Not getting enough juice can cause all sorts of hell with a system. You don't want to see a power supply rail more than 5-10% out of spec either way (+ or -), and 3.3V or less on a 5V rail is roughly 30-40% lower than the spec'd voltage. This is a case in point as to why the wattage really doesn't mean much. The key is the amps. Off hand, I can't think of the good numbers, but I do know that these are much more important than wattage. Higher values are better, btw.

10. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i disconnected or removed my:
    2 case fans
    tv card (pci)
    slave sata drive
    dvd-rw

now my temperature has dropped from 55C idle to around 44-47 on average, full load its on about 50-53C..

now thats alot of difference considering, if i remove my 9600XT with Iceq Cooling and put in a old 8500 my temp goes down to about 37C idle 42Loaded..

so i do think its the powersupply, my pc has been like this for a while now, just havn't got round to it, it hasn't given me any other problems, and it just got very bad when recently i added my TV card and an extra 3 fans (case and hsf).. now i've removed them its lowered my temperature dramatically..

however i've ordered an Antec 480W Silent fan, along with my new heatsink and fan: an ASUS Star Ice CPU Cooler (See Picture Below)

Hehe what a beast :) (my mate has one and its suprisingly quiet!)

Attached Files:

11. Addis

Addis The King

Thats huge! :eek:

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That goes along with the 'ridiculously huge coolers' like Cooler Master's Hyper 6, and Thermalright's XP120 (it natively supports a 120mm fan :eek: )

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

whoa, thats a big fan! Looks ginda likea meat grinder or something!

14. Addis

Addis The King

Its around 1/3 size of the mobo. And i thought my HSF was pretty big.

15. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

well i got a phone call saying that my suppliers could not get hold of the antec psu for another 3 weeks, so i orderd a "Thermaltake Xaser III Silent Power 480W PSU"

i removed my X800, all cdroms and put in my 9200SE (spare) and my pc's temperature went from 37C to 31C idle :O

and i noticed a big difference in the output of voltages to my motherboard, ie they were as they were supposed to be, so my 600W had really shity Amps.

anyway my new PSU coming does:

Attached Files:

• 1004.jpg
      1004.jpg
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
  16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've been hearing really good things about the Thermaltake PSU's as of late. The next time I build myself a rig, I'm seriously considering using a TT PSU.

17. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Before buying anything, have you made sure the software was configured properly ?

Looking at the 5V rail, I can see that all the values are equal...prettty strange isn't it ?

To have that low of a rail being that stable ?