reduced fps under cpu stress!!?!?!?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Arath, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Arath

Arath Geek Trainee

Hey
    ive had my current setup for some time now, and everytime my computer gets stressed, (playing high gfx games or something) then i can hear some kinda constant sound making long biip´s in my cabinet, and when the bip is there, my fps in the current game lowers by 40-50%.. and as soon as the bip stops it goes back to normal, but these biips is happening with like 4-5 sec appart and the biip lasts for a few sec aswell depending how stressed it is.

It really sounds like it come from the CPU but im not sure..

Tech info:
    CPU: Pentium 4, 3.0gHz
    Motherboard: AsRock P4V88
    RAM: 1024 Kingston DDR ram (Dual channel)
    Videocard: Geforce 6800 (Agp version with 128mb)
    Soundcard: Audigy 2

I have had this problem for nearly a year, and im getting really mad at it now, since i got the computer i have changed the videocard, the powersupply, harddisks. so those could not have been the problem. And i have switched the cooler on the CPU 2 times to see if it changed, but no luck!

PS. i have already checked if the biips had anything similar to those error codes motherboard/cpu can give, and it doesnt=.

Hope someone know anything about this..
    Thanks

Arath

2. Addis

Addis The King

Try opening your case and leaving it close to you while running something intensive, then pinpoint the component causing the sound.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It sounds like the CPU is overheating. I don't know what cooler you have, but from what I can tell (the beeps while the system is running under load and what appears to be the CPU throttling itself back down), it's either not installed properly or simply not able to cope with the heat output of the CPU. A copper-based cooler from Thermalright or Thermaltake should be easy to get ahold of and run anywhere from $20-50 depending on what you get. I know you've swapped parts like mad, but the symptoms point directly to a cooling issue.

4. Arath

Arath Geek Trainee

ive tried opening the cabinet, and followed the sound with my nose, and it really sounds like it comes from the cpu, but cant get my head close enough ;D but only thing able to make a sound there is either the psu or cpu.. so i guess it is a heat problem..

just strange cuz ive changed to coolers twice.. i have 3 coolers in cabinet + cpu cooler, and gfx cooler, and then psu cooler...

But if you guys rly know what ya talking about can u plz then tell me which numbers to look for? or even recommend a cooler for me? its socket 478 i think.

Thanks for replies

5. Arath

Arath Geek Trainee

I have now tried opened the cabinet and let it stand in desktop for some time, and after what i can feel it is very kewl even at the lowest end of the heat sink on the cpu cooler. i tried having my hands close to various components in the computer, and they all seem cold...
    but I can still hear some scratchy sound just by scrolling up and down at this webpage. its very wierd indeed.

Arath

6. Arath

Arath Geek Trainee

Just did an test with MBM5, Speedfan and now Aida32, and they all give same result which i find very VERY odd - (all results are pretty similar to this:

Sensor properties:
    Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF
    Sensor access ISA 290h

Temperatur:
    CPU 86 °C (187 °F)

Cooling Ventilation:
    CPU 3924 RPM

Power Values:
    CPU Core 1.23 V
    +3.3 V 3.30 V
    +5 V 5.08 V
    +12 V 11.25 V
    -12 V 0.47 V
    -5 V 1.84 V
    +5 V Standby 4.90 V

Dunno if it helps but to me 86 degress at desktop seems wierd.. 2 of the programs started alarms with very loud and noisy sounds that my cpu was in danger, and the last program just showed some flames next to the temp readout! :(

but the heat sink feels so cool.. how can it be 86 degress..

HELP!!! huhuhuh

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

86*C? Woah! That's way too hot. It's generally considered to be an issue when you start hitting 60*C or above at load. Make sure the heatsink is installed properly, and that you have removed any plastic covering at the bottom of the CPU (some have them, some don't).

Your heatsink should be warm when it's on, as that will tell you that heat is being transferred. It doesn't sound like it's mating properly with the CPU's surface.

8. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I noticed that your 12V rail is underpowering your system. This is not a good thig either and can lead to hardware problems. What power supply unit do you have?

9. Arath

Arath Geek Trainee

I got an Codegen Model nr: 300X

its just strange cuz ive been running with this problem for a very long time!

Anyway just ordered a Zalman 7000B cooler, and a new cabinet designet for better air flow inside, with 120mm coolers in front back and side..
    I will recieve it tomorrow and say how it went.

maybe something is between the cpu and cpu cooler preventing cooling..

Ohh and start temp on cpu after a night og rest is on 50 celsius, and rising fast when starting applications..

10. Arath

Arath Geek Trainee

ups double post

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The power supply might be an issue, but, I'm not too sure how accurate the motherboard voltage readings are.

12. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Sound like your CPU sensor is set to thermistor and not Diod as it should be.

13. Arath

Arath Geek Trainee

What do u meen??

English plz.. hehe

and some more info:

I havent recieved my cabinet and zalman yet, delayed till monday i think, buuut... i have been trying having the cabinet side off and a fan thingie blowing inside it, and my temp have been at max 60-65 at load, no strange sounds this time or anything, so i think this is a cooling problem..

which leads to another question:

When i bought the old cpu cooler, it had a white paper looking thing (a bit sticky paper) on the button where it touches the cpu, the store said it should be there, it was some kinda paste, so u dont have to put on yourself. Could that have been the problem? that it doesnt stick good enough to the cpu for maximum cooling?

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A thermal pad is okay, not the best, but it should work. However, it's only good for a one time use. After that, you'll need to clean off the old stuff with some isopropyl alcohol (both the CPU surface and heatsink) and apply either a new thermal pad or thermal paste (like Arctic Silver).

15. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Even todays most basic heatsinks that come with a pre-applied Thermal Pad are good enough to cool current CPU's. The only thing i can think of that's causing this overheating is a wrongly installed heatsink (not placing blame).

16. Arath

Arath Geek Trainee

mmmkay..

Anyway there is thermal paste with the zalman i bought, hang on and ill let you know in a few days how it went, it should give much more cooling.. but who knows..

just to get 1 theory out-->
    Can there be any kind of errors inside the cpu to do this kinda error? or is it completely the cooling or and other hardware interfereing with it?

17. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

That was in English actually.
    But seriously now, unfortunately the P4V88 is truly supported by only one program which is HMonitor. By supported I mean that it actually appears on the supported mobo list.
    Unfortunately it is not free. I used to use speedfan which gave me quite accurate results. If you ever used HMonitor you might remember that each sensor type can be set to a certain type. This has an effect on the temps readings. With the P4V88 the CPU sensor type has to be set to Diode.
    I am pretty sure it is also possible with Speedfan. However as I removed it once I installed a decent heatsink/Fan I really cannot remember where you change those settings within speedfan. Speed fan has an option to load other users existing settings. As you already have the sensor type (winbond yadi ya) you can search for the ASrock nearest match which uses the same sensor. It worked quite well for me.
    In general, paste will perform better than pads merely because of its flexibility. I actually tried both (pad against AC5) on the same heatsink. There was no difference in performance, in my case. If the pad is already there, use it. When it deteriorates, replace it with some decent thermal paste.

Zalman flowers are a bit tricky 'space wise'. Last time I checked it did not have enough clearance to fit my mobo-case combination. you need to check this very carefully.