Removing XP.

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Willz, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi, now i have Vista Ultimate and all my applications like Sony Ericsson software work, i have no need for Windows XP, so i plan to delete it from my system and format the partition, just i got a few worries about this.

I remember once i had an install of Windows XP, then i installed Windows XP on another partition but on the same physical HDD, and i moved to that installation of Windows XP, so i decided to format the old partition with Windows XP on, then after restarting i got errors like NTLDR missing or boot.ini or something, and i couldent do anything...

I am wondering if this will happen if i delete windows XP, Windows XP is on its own drive (20GB Seagate), and Windows Vista is on a 160GB Samsung, so i am wondering, wont the Boot.ini and all other required files needed for Windows Vista to boot be on the same partition as it, it is called C: on this drive too.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Vista doesn't use the boot.ini anymore. Just look where the folder BOOT is located (it is a hidden folder in the root of a partition). If it is present on the partition of XP, then just remove the xp files. If it is located on the partition where you've installed Vista, then you can format the xp partition. Then you can remove the entry "older version of windows" in the bootmanager by entering the command BCDEDIT in command prompt. You must delete the NTLDR from the boot manager. Enter BCDEDIT /? for an overview of the commands. (vista doesn't use NTLDR, so it's safe to remove that entry). In most cases you should enter: bcdedit /delete {NTLDR} /f. After that, you're done. If you think that it is tricky, then enter bcdedit /timeout 0, and Vista will be directly loaded at startup.

3. Willz

Its on the Partition that Windows XP is on, but if i delete everything off the Windows XP partition, all the space still aint retrived, still shows as quite allot still been used, also when i remove to 20GB hdd with the Boot Files on, will doing a repair installation of Windows Vista fix it?

4. RHochstenbach

I don't know for sure. But you can remove the following folders from the XP partition:

WINDOWS
    PROGRAM FILES
    DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS

and the following files:

NTLDR
    PAGEFILE.SYS
    HYBERFIL.SYS

5. Willz

Ok, well i cant seem to delete the Windows Folder in my Windows XP partition, it says i need Permision to perform this action, but i am an Administrator so i dont understand it, why cant i delete it?

6. RHochstenbach

right-click that folder, and select properties. go to the tab security, and click on advanced. Go to the tab Owner. Now select Administrators, and enable 'replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Now click on OK, and then again on OK. If it asks if you only want to change the folder or the folder AND contents, then choose the 2nd option.

7. Willz

"Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" wont stay ticked, i also tried modifying the properties to allow 100% control, still doesent work.

8. Willz

What can i remove from this list withought damagin Windows Vista: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/thehub/XPDeletion.jpg

Also, some of the files i have had problems with deleting are Docments and Settings/ All Users and my old account.

In All users, the problems is:
    Application Data/ Microsoft/ Crypto and Dr Watson.
    My old account in Documents and Settings:
    W11l/ Application Data / SecuROM (corp protection :s )
    W11l/ Local Settings / Temp / hsperfdata_w11l / 1861.

I have tried everything in properties and still cant get to delete these.

9. RHochstenbach

Ah I can see it now. Copy the following folders and files to a place on your computer (to desktop, C:-partition etc.):

folders:
    boot

files:
    bootmgr
    boot.bak
    BOOTSECT.BAT
    CONFIG.SYS
    IO.SYS
    NTDETECT.EXE

Now format that partition. (quick format).

Then put those files and folders back onto that partition.

10. Willz

Cant i just put these files into the Windows Vista C: drive?

11. RHochstenbach

No, because the boot sector of Vista is registered on that XP partition. But you can change that
    Copy the following things to the C: drive:

folders:
    boot

files:
    bootmgr
    boot.bak
    BOOTSECT.BAT
    CONFIG.SYS
    IO.SYS
    NTDETECT.EXE

Now go to command prompt, and enter bcdedit /set {bootmgr} Device Partition=C:
    To be sure, enter bcdedit again. Now at the {bootmgr} entry, you should see that Device is set to Partition=C:

12. RHochstenbach

You could also do the following instead:
    Put the dvd of Vista in the dvd-drive. Now go to command prompt. If the drive letter of the dvd-drive of Vista is E:, then enter the following command:
    E:\boot\bootsect /nt60 C:. Now the boot sector should be written to the C: drive. So you could do this OR what I posted before. If your system can't boot anymore, then load the installation of Vista from the DVD, and choose repair.

13. Willz

Ok cheers, will try these when i get home from College :)

14. Willz

Ok, tried that, this is what i got, i see no boot folder in the Vista partition now, proberbly something to do with the access denied?

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\willz>F:\boot\bootsect /nt60 C:
    Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

C: (\\?\Volume{1a4f2992-a70a-11db-9344-806e6f6e6963})

Updated NTFS filesystem bootcode.  The update may be unreliable since the
        volume could not be locked during the update:
            Access is denied.

Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes.

C:\Users\willz>

15. RHochstenbach

Then try this command: F:\boot\bootsect /nt60 C: /f. It will now force the program.

16. Willz

Ok, now this have come up, but it hasent put BOOT in yet.

Code:
    C:\Users\willz>F:\boot\bootsect /nt60 C: /f

bootsect {/help|/nt60|/nt52} {SYS|ALL|<DriveLetter>:} [/

Boot sector restoration tool

Bootsect.exe updates the master boot code for hard disk
    switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR.  You can use this tool
    sector on your computer.

Run "bootsect /help" for detailed usage instructions.

C:\Users\willz>F:\boot\bootsect /nt60 C: /f

bootsect {/help|/nt60|/nt52} {SYS|ALL|<DriveLetter>:} [/

Boot sector restoration tool

Bootsect.exe updates the master boot code for hard disk
    switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR.  You can use this tool
    sector on your computer.

Run "bootsect /help" for detailed usage instructions.  

17. RHochstenbach

I forgot something. It has to be /force instead of /f. So it has to be F:\boot\bootsect /nt60 ALL /force If that doesn't work, do the following:

Copy the folder Boot, and the files BOOTMGR, BOOT.BAK, CONFIG.SYS, IO.SYS, BOOTSECT.BAK and NTDETECT.COM to the C: partition.

Now enter the command bcdedit /set {bootmgr} Device Partition=C:

18. Willz

Ok thanks, said it compleated succesfully, after i dont some homework i will try it out :)

Thanks for the help.

19. RHochstenbach

Ok, you can see for yourself. If the folder BOOT, and the file BOOTMGR is present in the C: partition, then you can format the D: partition. If it fails to boot, then load the installation from dvd, and choose repair. :D

20. Willz

Ok, it booted, but i decided to try just to delete the BOOT folder in the Windows XP Partition, and it says its in use, does this mean windows is still using this BOOT Folder instead of the one on the Vista Partition?

**Edit~~ I deleted the BOOT Folder from the Vista partition, and it deleted straight away which means that Vista is still using the one off of the XP Partition right?