Replacing heatsink on 5850 help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by KennyW, Aug 11, 2010.

1. KennyW

KennyW Geek Trainee

I have an HIS Radeon HD 5850 card in my recently-built box (reference model, not CoolerV or central-fan model) and it's running hotter than it should, in my opinion. Idle, it sits around 50C, and under full load it gets up to around 75-80C. I'd like to see if it's possible to replace the stock sink, which looks rather pathetic... see? (left column of article).

I've been looking primarily at the Zalman VF1000, but on Zalman's product page it doesn't say it works with the 5850, and the only reviews on Newegg mention messing with a plate that comes with the stock cooler (for cooling the V-RAM). However, the heatsink itself looks plenty beefy, and has great reviews overall.

Can someone help me figure out what I need to do to successfully mod the heatsink on my card? For example, it'd be great to find out if the pins on the heatsink are the same size as another model, so I could judge compatibility based on that. Also, it'd be great to hear about what people think of the temps I'm getting, and whether or not they're normal or high.

I have plenty of ventilation in my case, btw. NZXT M59 with 4 fans total: front HDD intake, side intake, top exhaust, and back exhaust (all 120mm).