Restart explorer.exe failed, RPC thing failed to run

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by nicky9499, May 12, 2011.

1. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

I'm running a program which becomes highly unstable when I ALT-TAB out of it unless explorer.exe is shutdown. This worked well until yesterday, I would just restart explorer.exe and resume normal usage.

After restarting explorer.exe and when I try to open any folder I get this error:

"The Remote Procedure Call failed and did not execute."

RPC is Started and Automatic in services.msc. RPC Locator is not started and on Manual.

Please do not tell me to restart. The computer carries out file server tasks using Wampserver and it thus inherent that shutting down is to be avoided. Moreover, this issue did not occur before so it is a problem with Windows, not a built-in limitation of any sort.

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

What kind of program are you running?

3. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

Flight Simulator X.

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Sounds like a possible malware infection. If I recall correctly, there where a few worm variants that disabled the RPC service, causing the system to reboot. Check for malware, and scan for corrupt system files as instructed on this page.
    Just of curiosity, why are you running video games on a production file server?

5. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

I've checked using Windows Live Essentials and there are no malware, as far as it can find.
    It's not a professional server, it's a powerful home computer doubling as a basic file server.