Review: Switching to Windows

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Anti-Trend, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Madpenguin is currently hosting a tongue-in-cheek review of Windows XP from a long time Linux user's perspective. It isn't a serious review by any means, in fact it's written as a mirror image of Linux reviews found in all those rag tech magazines. Even so, it may bring to light certain drawbacks and caveats of the Windows platform that long-time Windows users often overlook. It also gives you a glimse of what users of Linux and other UNIX-like platforms have come to expect from their respective systems.

An excerpt from the article:
    "...You are also prompted to create a 'user' account. Do not be fooled, the 'user' account also has full root access. Windows hardware detection leaves a lot to be desired as well. Aside from the installation issue with the hard-drive, Windows was also unable to detect my graphics controller and sound-card. Intriguingly, Windows offered to automatically adjust my video settings for 'better performance'. I was not given a choice in the matter. It adjusted my desktop from the default 640x480 with 16 colours to a glorious 640x480 with 16 colours ... Gee. Well, I suppose it's the thought that counts."

Warning, it seems Slashdot.org is also currently carrying this story! No big surprise, but the site is under extremely heavy load. If you are unable to reach it through the main link, try this mirror.

Attached Files:

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

That's pretty funny; well worth the read :)

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Excellent read AT :cool:

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

lmao nice!

5. Fred

Fred Moderator

Yes indeed, a very fun read.

6. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Funny article, I liked it.