Ripping CDs is illegal - RIAA

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Addis

Addis The King

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has reversed its position on CD ripping and now wants the practice outlawed.

In a filing to the US government concerning digital rights management the RIAA and other copyright industry associations said the fact that CD ripping is widespread does not make it legal.

"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorisation," the filing stated.

"In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorisation, not about fair use."

This is a complete reversal of the RIAA's previous policy. In last year's Supreme Court MGM v. Grokster case a representative of the RIAA described ripping a CD and putting it on an iPod as "perfectly lawful".

"It is no secret that the entertainment 'oligopolists' are not happy about space-shifting and format-shifting," said the Electronic Frontier Foundation in a statement. "But surely ripping your own CDs to your own iPod passes muster. "

VNUnet

Now this is just stupid. Nothing more needs saying.

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I do not give a flying :swear: !

I bought the :swear: thing, I payed through the :swear: nose for it and now I want to take it jogging.....

They can take a flying :swear: and never come back!

:swear: ers

3. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Whats the need. If you cant rip your cds there encouraging mor epeople to download illegally to get the songs for their MP3 players.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

:swear: Stupid. If you can't rip a CD to play on an mp3 player then what's the point in having an mp3 player? I bet 90% of people who own an mp3 player got all their music on there from ripping CD's, if they say you can't rip a CD to listen to on an mp3 player then mp3 manufacturers better start finding another way or they'll go outta business because not enough people download through stores for them to keep it up.

This is just so damn stupid, I bet this idea was thought up by some pratt in a suit trying to think they're all important because they've got a piece of paper that supposedly says they're good at something, are these people just bored? Bunch of :swear:

</rant>

5. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

How do they recommend I get the songs on my mp3 player if I don't rip them?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes, this is coming from the same organization that prosecutes grandmothers that don't own a computer for illegally downloading songs....pathetic.

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Is there actually a story of that hapopening?

8. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

My view of the RIAA is that of a room filled with over protective mothers who lost control of their kids and needed something else to bitch about. Seriously, the RIAA just flat out have sand in their vaginas.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes. I don't have any links off hand, but it has been reported that the RIAA has sued people (including the elderly) that don't have a computer, have a computer, and no internet access, have both, but there's no intrest in downloading songs and none can be found on their computer.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Maybe their method of choosing people to bust is...
    *close eyes, point at piece of paper...*
    "That one"
    I think this whole thing is just ridiculous.

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Here's how to deal with the RIAA, ready?

Don't buy their music.

Not at all, not in any form. Not ringtones, not CDs, not iTunes, not anywhere. If you are really disgusted with their anti-customer tactics, boycott them altogether -- don't just speak about them in repulsion and then turn around and reward them by lining their already overstuffed pockets. Instead, reward independant labels that are pro-fair-use and therefore pro-YOU. Magnatune.com is a good example or a good independant label -- they license songs to be Creative Commons friendly, their formats are not DRM encumbered, and half of the profits of purchases go directly to the artist.