Riva Tuner please

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Exfoliate, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'd really like to use Riva Tuner to beef up my 6800 but for some reason my just-built PC doesn't want to download it, from anywhere. It's so bloody annoying. I hate to do this but do any of you happen to have a recent version of Riva Tuner that you wouldn't mind attaching to a post as a zip file? Thanks so much, and sorry about mooching off you guys like this.

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

There really isn't any need at all to overclock your 6800, if you've got a new system i would just use it as it is, the 6800 will run new games such as HL2 / Doom3 on full graphics at a very nice frame rate, even at multiplayer level.

There really won't be that much performance gain for you, and you risk the fact that you might damage the card..

and i wouldn't use Riva Tuner i would use the inbuilt overclocking utility called "Coolbits 2.0"

goto your desktop: right click, goto properties, goto "Settings", at the bottom of the box, click "advanced" - in the new box thats opened select the tab that says: "GeForce 6800" now you'll get a small menu appear as an addon on your left of the new box, select "Clock Frequency Settings", then you select: "Manual Overclock".

Make sure you have selected "Performance 3D" under the drop down menu called "settings" (by default it says "Performance 2D")

Now don't do anything yourself.. here click the: "Detect Optimal Frequencies"

This will safely find your cards maximum overclock - and it doesn't take long :)

If you don't have this option available it's because its hidden, Nvidia disabled it automatically via a registry string, so download and run this:

Enjoy :good:

Attached Files:

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks ProcalX, that is actually what I did shortly after I installed XP and loaded all my drivers. Coolbits is a great program, I'm glad it was included on the driver CD. You don't think I'd notice 4 extra pipelines and 1 additional vertex shader though...?

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay, I did some tweaking and got myself RivaTuner, I'm pretty sure I enable the extra pipelines but I don't know for sure. How do I figure out whether it worked or not? I guess I could try FarCry again and see if it helped, I ran 3Dmark03 and it didn't make a difference on the first test so I quit. Also, I thought I had overclocked my video card but whenever I go back into display preferences and look at my cards clock frequencies they say what they did when I first installed the darn thing! Why won't it overclock? I've tried this same process at least 4 times to no avial, whats up with it? Thanks.