Ruby or PHP?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by edijs, Oct 20, 2006.

1. edijs

edijs Programmer

Hi!

A'ight, I have those two ways to go. Which should I choose? Which has more perspective? You see, PHP is oldschool classic and very common, but Ruby's a pretty fresh thing (at least in the more wester part of the world) and pretty easy too (Ruby on rails). The usage is somewhat different, so I can't possibly do them parallel.

So? :dry:

2. Addis

Addis The King

PHP is a more mature language than , and so it will be better supported by web hosts and integrates with MySQL very well. A lot of high profile sites use this combination, so there are definately strong advantages of choosing the PHP route. PHP also has a stronger resemblance to C with its syntax, and so those from a C/C++ background will pick it up with ease.

I don't have any actual experience with Ruby on Rails, so I can't comment on how good it is for certain tasks. Likely scenario is that a web host won't support (although there must be some that do). Rails is actually a full web framework, and so it might be easier to develop some types of websites with its structured framework.

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

Well, yes, the resemblance to C/C++ is high and it's easy to understand. Also, there are many tutorials available. It is scalable, mature and popular.

I just don't know. There are also things that speak for Ruby on Rails - many good references + I saw it in action - how easy (and goddamned fast) it was to build a webapp... wow.

It's a dillema. :confused:

I got one PHP opinion - thanks Addis! Anything from anyone on Ruby?

4. edijs

edijs Programmer

OK, I just wanted to post my decition - it's PHP. I tried to implement some stuff and it works just fine for me. I don't think to dig into Ruby in the foreseable future.

Well then... solved!

5. techturtle

techturtle Geek Trainee

I agree with your conclusion.

I was going to add that there are too many questions as to whether ROR is ready for prime time at this point. It's still very "fresh", imho.