S.M.A.R.T Error

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by thomas234, Jul 11, 2009.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Hi,

My computer is telling me when it boots that my primary HDD has SMART status BAD, and I should backup and replace the HDD.

Using speedfan, I found that the error is End-to-end error count. I have no idea what this means!

Speedfan Report

I have another 2 HDD's, the backup and a 500gb. The 500gb has Windows 7 on, and is what I use to develop CSMenu, so I really don't want to have to wipe that, but wait a few days and get another HDD.

My question is, can anyone estimate how long I have left using this HDD. I've backed everything up, but the problem is that my family use this on a regular basis. This means that any changes they make will have to be backed up straight away which isn't practical!!

Thanks,

Thomas.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

An end to end error means that the data coming out of the system cache and that from the drive cache don't match. That could mean that your drive cache is bad. You could try disabling it, which might or might not help depending on what the root cause of the issue might be. Otherwise, if you care about your data the worst thing you can do is try to keep limping along with that drive. Reason being, that error essentially means that your data is being corrupted.

P.S. - 65C is way too hot for a HDD to last very long. According to recent studies the ideal temp for drive longevity is 32-36C.

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll wipe off Windows 7 then and use the other drive.

Btw, where did you get 65C from?

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

... but I guess that attribute could be wrong? 35 is more like it.