Sansun arctic 500watt psu, wat du u think

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by izzy007, May 28, 2006.

1. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i waz lookin at dis psu nd da specs seem very good. its got a lot of awards if u go to da awards section nd select dis psu nd they are all positive. wat du u tink. of course big b shud know a lot but on the other side, he may hav neva com across dis. itz a modular 1 with dual 12v rails, a massive 37amps altogether. herez da link

(u may hav to refresh da page agen until it appears.)

SanSun

wud appreciate comments
    thx

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'd be dubious (sp?) having never heard of them, modular PSU's add extra stress to the rails as the extra connection adds resistance.

[ot]
    Could you try and spell and use proper English please, it's kind of annoying having 'nd' 'dis' 'dat' etc all over the place.
    If the admins decide it's just me being picky then don't worry.
    [/ot]

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I haven't heard of them either, but I did run across a review of the 450W version over @ TechPowerUp! that actually did a good power supply review. It's modular, but the main power cable is hardwired in.

The 20A+17A don't quite add up to 37A, due to an RMS-like property (why two 50W channels from a stereo won't put out 100W), but it should be above 30A, and probably around 34A. I don't know how the pricing compares with Antec, Enermax, and Hiper (specifically, the Type-R), but the testing didn't reveal any serious flaws in it.

The main thing with Sansun is that their track record for power supplies isn't established like other companies. That's the only hang up I have about it, but from what I can tell, it's a cheap unit that doesn't suck.

4. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

izzy, where are you seeing it sold?

5. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

Power Supplies

6. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

thanks. Even though it's in the UK and i'm in the states. oh well.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It may not have made it to any reputable US vendors yet. Newegg doesn't have it yet.

8. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

so its not up to the job. so i mite aswell spend another 10quid nd get the antec smartpower 500watt or spend 20quid more nd get the antec ne HE 5+00watt SLI certified.y does this psu only have 17amps on the 5v rail and 23 on the 3.3v.
    Antec -- Power Supply Products

wat bout the hiper 525watt triple fan with fan speed adjuster. dual 12v rails, 37amps together.
    Hiper - Products - Power Supply - HPU-4S525
    thx

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It looks alright. There's no US vendors that are selling it from what I can see. That has nothing to do with wether the product is good or not. My guess is that it's pretty new to market, so finding it, especially with a company like Sansun, is hard to get. Overall, it looks like a nice unit, so I can't say you'd be getting a bad unit.

10. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

big b wat bout the thread where i asked wich psu will be the best one in terms of nois, money, quality, upgradability etc.

(all products from ebuyer.co.uk) plz hav a look at specifications aswell.
    Antec smartpower 500watt. 42 pounds. Antec -- SmartPower 2.0

Antec neo 500watt sli (modular) 18db sound- 47.19 (Antec -- NeoHE

hiper 525watt triple fan with speed control (must be noisy) 44pounds

although i qoubt i wud get this but still wud consider. its a bit noisier than the neo500watt wich is 18db nd this one is 21.3db.
    Antec truepower 550watt sli. 70pounds (a bit too much)

wat du u thing. i wud prefer the antec neo 500watt sli considering in the reviews and rewards that all stated it was the quietest power supply they have worked with and is more efficient so therefore it will put out less heat than other psu's when converting ac to dc so it needs less cooling. 1 thing i was worried anout this was that it only has 23 amps on the 3.3v rail nd 17 amps on the 5v rail.
    Output Voltage +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3
    ------Max. Load +23A +17A +17A +17A +17A

wud it really matter because i am not going to use that much current or will it limit me from wat i can add, i e no of hard drives, dvd rw drives etc.
    can u also tell me briefly wat type of component takes wich voltage for eg, processors take 12v, wich rails(s) the hard drive uses etc. most psu's i have seen have al least 30amps on the 3.3 nd more than 35-40 on th 5v.

answering these questions will be most appreciated.

thanks

11. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

wat du y think b

12. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm sorry what was the point of that last post?

Big B has already stated what he thinks...

14. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i didnt quite explain it. i dont think u read the reply properly becoz i waz asking about the antec nd hiper psu's but b sed that the sansun should b alright, so finding it, especially with a company like Sansun....,
    i waz asking wat he thinks about choosing a different psu.

(this post)
    wich psu will be the best one in terms of nois, money, quality, upgradability etc.

(all products from ebuyer.co.uk) plz hav a look at specifications aswell.
    Antec smartpower 500watt. 42 pounds. Antec -- SmartPower 2.0

Antec neo 500watt sli (modular) 18db sound- 47.19 (Antec -- NeoHE

hiper 525watt triple fan with speed control (must be noisy) 44pounds

although i qoubt i wud get this but still wud consider. its a bit noisier than the neo500watt wich is 18db nd this one is 21.3db.
    Antec truepower 550watt sli. 70pounds (a bit too much)

wat du u thing. i wud prefer the antec neo 500watt sli considering in the reviews and rewards that all stated it was the quietest power supply they have worked with and is more efficient so therefore it will put out less heat than other psu's when converting ac to dc so it needs less cooling. 1 thing i was worried anout this was that it only has 23 amps on the 3.3v rail nd 17 amps on the 5v rail.
    Output Voltage +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3
    ------Max. Load +23A +17A +17A +17A +17A

wud it really matter because i am not going to use that much current or will it limit me from wat i can add, i e no of hard drives, dvd rw drives etc.
    can u also tell me briefly wat type of component takes wich voltage for eg, processors take 12v, wich rails(s) the hard drive uses etc. most psu's i have seen have al least 30amps on the 3.3 nd more than 35-40 on th 5v.

answering these questions will be most appreciated.

thanks

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

The reason I asked what the point was is because you just had a dash - in the post immediately before that one, I couldn't see the point of making a post just for that...

I'm sure all of the woulud be good, also look at Tagan, they make some good PSU's. Thermaltake make some nice units for very little money.

Here's a section of PSU's from Eclipse Computers.

Do you have a maximum budget? There's some really nice units to be had for up to and around £60.
    Enermax EG495AX-VE 480W Silent, Temperature Controlled PSU
    Enermax ELT400AWT 400W Liberty Low Noise, Modualer PSU
    Thermaltake W0063 460W Pure Power PSU With Active PFC
    Tagan TG420-U01 420W Black-Edition Silent PSU
    HiperPower 580Watt ATX2 24Pin Ultra Quiet PSU
    Any one of those units should do you nicely :good:

16. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

eclipse computers is pretty expensive than ebuyer. for eg eclipse computers got an antec truecontrol for 90quid nd it's only 80 quid. i wud cosider the psu's u gave in the list (thanks) but there are units that are 400 or 460watt nd are 50-60 pounds so thats why i was thinking that the antec neo he is a reputable brand nd the psu is only 48 pounds. it is also SLI certified with triple 12v rails so i was thinking that was a better option. the hiper type r 580watt for 60 pounds looks quite considerable too.

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

That Hiper Type R is a good PSU, but if you're leaning towads the Antec then go for it, it's a good brand that's known for quality PSU's so I think you'd be best getting that one if you're worried about the others.

18. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

im not really worried bout the others its just that they are slightly lower powered ones that are pretty expensive so they're not really worth it otherwise enermaz, tagan etc make quality psu's.
    oh yeh 1 more thing, u kn oe the antec neo HE, how comes it's got only 17 amps on the 5v nd 23v on the 3.3v. other psu's normally have at least 30. wud i really need thay much power or will the 17amps limit me to wat i can put in.

thx

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

17A seems a little low, I'd want for Big B to reply, he'll know (being the HWF Godfather and pool of knowledge) :good:

20. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

can u also please tell me briefly wat type of component takes wich voltage for eg, processors take 12v, wich rails(s) the hard drive uses etc. most psu's i have seen have al least 30amps on the 3.3 nd more than 35-40 on th 5v. (wat i wrote in a previous post)