sata hdd power adapter

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by jtmich, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jtmich

jtmich Geek Trainee

I have an old dell gx280 pentium 4 that I want to add a two-three more hard drives to. I have used the extra sata port and the extra sata power adapter. There is an open 3.5 bay and i could remove the floppy drive for another 3.5 bay. I will add a sata pci card to get more sata ports. However, I don't know how to power these 2-3 extra hdds. I would rather not buy a new psu. Is there an adapter that i can use to plug the spare power cords into the sata hdd? There is one spare power cord with a cap on it that says P4, one that says p6, and one that says p8. An image of the inside of the case is attached.

Attached Files:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes there are. It's been awhile since I picked up a retail box SATA drive, but I thought they shipped with a molex to SATA adapter. If not, your local computer store should have some for $5, if not less.

As long as the +12V rail is high enough (18A is recommended with a P4), you shouldn't need a new PSU. If you do, be careful as Dell has supposedly had their systems wired differently where a non-Dell specific unit would probably be fatal to the motherboard.

3. jtmich

jtmich Geek Trainee

Thanks!