Scientists Build Batteries Using Viruses

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by pelvis_3, Apr 9, 2006.

1. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Not the usual type of news but interesting nonetheless.

Scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the United States have figured out a way to use viruses to build ultrathin lithium-ion batteries that pack three times the normal energy level for their weight and size, they said this week.

By manipulating genes inside the viruses, the scientists coaxed them into coating themselves with cobalt oxide molecules and gold particles and then lining themselves up to form tiny wires that serve as the anode electrode in a battery.

The eight-person team, led by MIT professors Angela Belcher, Paula Hammond and Yet-Ming Chiang, describe their work in this week’s issue of the journal Science.

Among other applications, the work could contribute to the development of more useful car batteries, which today are too heavy and weak to compete effectively with petrol, the scientists said.

Rest Here at CIO

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Pretty cool

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Putting a virus to good use - that's what I like to see :)

Let's just hope they don't radiate from the batteries and infect us with the common cold :D

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Or even worse -- a form of Bird Flu :O
    Hehe.
    I think this could be a really good thing if they use it for the right stuff.
    [ot]I can't understand why everyone is so paranoid about bird flu, like 100 people worldwide have died from it (after being in extremely close contact with birds who were infected) and yet in the UK thousands of OAP's die each year from flu as they don't have enough money to heat their homes![/ot]

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

seems interesting...... At the moment I have a big battery in my car to play my music system. Hope this ;battery comes out soon.