SDRAM Not Recognised.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Strings, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Strings

Strings Geek Trainee

Evening All,

Today I bought 512mb of RAM for my Computer. A SDRAM DIMM Memory Module, I'm told. I only had 256mb before.

Not being comletely computer savy, all I could really do was follow some instructions. So I slotted it in (being careful with my static electricity) and turned my computer back on.

Looking at the properties in My Computer, I saw that I still only had 256mb.

I checked my Phoenix BIOS and it said "Memory Bank 0: Not installed." (This being the bank with the module in it.) I swapped it over to Bank 1 but BIOS still said it was uninstalled.

So is there a problem with my Module or have I just not installed it correctly?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, there's also the possibility that the motherboard does not support a 512MB stick of RAM, especially if you have a Pentium II or III class motherboard (although it's less likely with a Pentium III). RAM is keyed so unless you force it, you won't be able to insert it incorrectly.

3. Strings

Strings Geek Trainee

Would you be able to tell me how to find out whether or not my motherboard supports a 512MB stick?

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah, most motherboard specs can be found.

There is a little program called PCWizard which will tell you. There are probably other ways but pcwizard is the only one which I can ever remeber. Its good though because it tends to give the manufacturer and model everytime.

PC Wizard

Once its installed there is a tab named 'motherboard'
    This will give you the make and model.

Sorry if this is an 'around the houses' method, its the only way I can think of getting it!

5. Strings

Strings Geek Trainee

Thanks, that's helpful but I'll need your help again to understand what it means.

I assume I'm meant to be looking under the tab "Physical Memory"?

Under General Information it says:

M1: Empty
    M2: 256 (Double Bank)

These are my memory banks I'm guessing. M1 is where my 512 stick is and M2 is where my 256 stick is. As before, M1 is not recognising my 512.

However, underneath it shows the info for M1 and it shows the details of the stick that I have inserted. Also, at the very top of the page, it says "Physical Memory: 768" which is what I was aiming for. So that confuses me.

Under the heading, "Memory Controller Information" it states: "Max. Module Size: 512" and "Max. Memory Size 1536". Is this to say that my maximum RAM is actually 512 or the maximum size per bank is 512?

I know it must be frustrating to explain this stuff to people who like me who don't have a clue so any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

6. zeus

zeus out of date

In that tab you in now (wher you are getting that physical memory info from) what does it say next to Mainboard?

7. Strings

Strings Geek Trainee

It says... "Trigem Computer, Inc. Lomita"

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, from what I can gather on a Google search, that motherboard only supports a maximum of 512MB. Support for sticks larger than 256MB won't be there because it didn't make sense when that motherboard was produced.

The only thing you can do is get a stick of 256MB and drop that in.

9. Strings

Strings Geek Trainee

There's no way to use the 512 stick? At all?

IE, replace the 256 with the 512? Or is my machine simply too old to recognise it, period?

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You could try the 512MB stick alone, but it's very likely that the chipset on the motherboard is unable to work with RAM chips that have that high of density. I'd be very surprised if it worked. In all likelyhood, if you want 512MB, you'll have to use a second 256MB stick.

11. Strings

Strings Geek Trainee

As per your advice, I have inserted a 256MB stick but alas the same thing has happened.

Although my motherboard is capable of handling 512MB of Ram, 256mb in either slot, BIOS and PC Wizard both say that the second slot is empty. The stick is inserted correctly and apparantly compatible so I'm really running out of answers.

12. 06ryan06

06ryan06 Geek Trainee

have u tried 512 on its own?mayb m1 doesnt work?if u wana test if it works put the 256 in m1 n see if its reconised.if not u no its the slot.is ur installed memory ddr or sdram?i couldnt get a 512mb ddr for my laptop and i brought a sdram 512 but my mother board didnt support it so it wouldnt work.is ur new 512 sdram?

13. Strings

Strings Geek Trainee

Independently, the only stick that works is my original 256mb stick. No matter what slot I put it in. The 512 stick and other 256 stick never work.

The original RAM is SDRAM too. Hang on, I'll list the stuff that written on the side of it.

Infineon,
    32MX64
    SDRAM
    CL3
    133 MHz
    PC133-333-520.

The RAM I'm trying to install only says:

SDRAM
    PC133
    256MN
    133MHz
    168 pin

14. 06ryan06

06ryan06 Geek Trainee

well.all i can suggest to u is go on websites to buy ram,were u have to put ur make of computer and then buy 1 off tht website so u no its the right 1 to go with ur computer.

15. Strings

Strings Geek Trainee

If I did that, it would be the third stick of RAM I'd bought in one month. What I'd like to know first is why this new stick of RAM isn't compatable. Can anyone else see any problems with my stick?

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

So, the 512MB stick is not being recognized, correct? That's not surprising, given the maximum chipset limitation of 512MB total. The best you're able to do is to use a second 256MB stick.

Usually, a RAM slot will only access half the total RAM the chipset can address, so it's not surprising that it's not working with the 512MB. The RAM is likely fine, but the chipset on your motherboard simply does not support RAM sticks of that capacity. There's nothing you can do to the motherboard to make it work, as it's a limitation of the chipset.

17. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive only just looked up on your motherboard. It has an Intel 810e chipset. They only seem to support 256mb DIMMs.

The datasheet doesnt make much sense. It says it can support up to 512mb of RAM in 4 slots. Max of 128mb of 64bit DIMMs. So with two slots intel only says it supports 256mb!
    Read page 81
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29067602.pdf

18. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The i815 and 810 support up to 4 banks of RAM. Each bank is a side of a memory module. There would be up to 2 banks per module. If you have 4 DIMM slots, you can use 4 128MB sticks, but they all must be single-sided. If you use a double-sided module, you're limited to 2 additional single-sided DIMMs or 1 double-sided.

19. 06ryan06

06ryan06 Geek Trainee

so ur saying buy 2 single sided 128 mb sticks?its a bit pathetic but as ur mobo will only support 256 im not sure is 128 single in each dimm will work. you could try.if not.you would have to get a new mob wich is compatible with ur processor.id sell all ur parts of ur tower and buy a new tower wich has what u want and upgradable so u dont have the problem again

20. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No. It would be for him to buy a second 256MB stick. Single or double-sided, it doesn't matter. The chipset supports up to 512MB across 4 banks maximum. With only 2 RAM slots, the only way to get 512MB is to get an additional 256MB stick.