SEC Goes After Tim Roberts

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Former Infinium Labs head honcho, Tim Roberts, seems to be in some trouble with the SEC, according to GameSpot. If you don't remember Infinium Labs, they're the brains behind the Phantom console, which has yet to see the light of day in retail stores. Roberts had been in a lawsuit against [H]ard|OCP, after the site published an article that left a less than positive impression about the company and Roberts himself.

Whether or not this is the last of the deficiencies, Bachus couldn't say. "I don't expect to find anything more, but I didn't expect to find this either. We've looked at everything we can think to look at," he said.

I can't say I'm buying his innocence, but at least he hasn't jumped up to start suing websites like his predecessor. Anyway, you can read the article over here.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Cue shock, amazement

Is it bad that I'm mildly amused by this news? Because I am. :) Perhaps because I agree with Penny Arcade's historical point of view on the matter quite a bit.

-AT

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If Roberts had a legit company, he'd have been smart to send Kyle a real, working Phantom console to make him eat those words. Now, granted, Kyle Bennett is not one to mince words, but a working, retail product that's been vaporware and gets shipped to him directly would probably make him recant.

The thing I was a bit worried about was if IL won, that'd set a very dangerous precedent by saying that you couldn't say bad things about a company's product, even if they were true.

I think Kevin Bachus is playing dumb, but at least he's got a different tune than Roberts sue you campaign. A good lesson on how to not respond to the public. Too bad the entertainment industry hasn't caught on to this yet...