Seeking assistance with Linux.

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Net Jockey, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

OK Guys...As promised...Here we go...Ready to seriously take the dive.
    I have read some of the stickies...and I am really impressed with the amount of work...that some of you have put into providing the information necessary for one to...hopefully have a successful journey into the land of Linux.

After reading the Thread...Which Version Of Linux Is Best For A Newbie? I am leaning towards the Mandriva Distro.

With that thread being 2 or 3 years old...I am wondering if that still applies today? If it is could someone please provide a link to the latest Distro?

Also the computer that i want to install it on is an Acer x86 with an Intel 352 Celeron D processor...at 3.20 GHZ...with 1 GB DDR RAM. The computer is not more than two years old.

I currently have an older version of Ubuntu dual booting with XP...I would like to remove Ubuntu and keep XP...I still want to Dual boot...Can someone Please tell me how to do that?

I intend to use that computer to experiment with programs that work with XP. as well as to learn about Linux.

2. little dave

little dave Geek Trainee

Distrowatch is a good place for distro jumping. I just install Unbuntu 8.10 on the laptop and have been playing with Ubuntu since 5.10 . You can choose how you want to partition when you install. Or if your drive is large enough triple boot.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Any Linux installer will give you options as to how you want the HDD partitioned and where you want the bootloader to go. Usually, since Linux bootloaders are more advanced than the simple Windows bootloader, you'd go with LILO or GRUB on the master boot record rather than mess with the primitive Windows one. In terms of which distro, I'd also echo the sentiment to check out distrowatch and browse through those. I use Debian myself, as I find Ubuntu too slow and buggy to be useful. I don't know how good Mandriva is these days, since they started aiming corporate and fired the original founder. This created a community backlash that scattered the power users in their community to a variety of other distros, including Debian, Fedora, Arch, PCLinuxOS, and Ubuntu. Of those, PCLinuxOS is a direct fork from the Mandriva project, but I don't know how it's progressed after all these years. The new Fedora is supposed to be pretty good on a desktop, but I still can't think of Red Hat as anything but a server-oriented distro. Big B always loved Red Hat on the desktop though, and I do use CentOS (a community version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux) on my servers, so your mileage may vary.

4. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Thanks for all of your help...

I have looked at Distrowatch ...And I am frustrated...(not that there is anything wrong with the site)...But I am attempting to choose a distro to get this show on the road...And I can not find a thing there that assists me.

It appears to be a good site to find out where to download the Distro from...for which I am grateful.

It appears that different people have created different...distros...that meet their personal needs???

If that is correct...I would like to find a site that explains that...eg. This distro was created to assist those who want to do such and such with their computers...In other words...What is the purpose of this Distro?

Is that possible???Or am I still missing something?

5. Fred

Fred Moderator

I agree... Distrowatch is a great place to check out all of the different distros and read up a bit. But there are WAY too many to look through all of them and make a sound decision.

This is correct. Different individuals/groups/companies start Linux distributions or branches that are designed to fit their needs. This is a benefit and a downfall of GNU/Linux. It is great because so many people can find an OS that fits their needs (or build it), and it is unfortunate because people that don't know the difference have a harder time deciding which one they should be using.

Well, I have several possibilities for you:
    • Continue to tell us what you are expecting to do with this Linux distro (ie: gaming, email, or word processing) and we can help identify what we feel will suit your needs
    • Browse Distrowatch and read the descriptions of each distro :-O
    • This site asks you several questions and gives you a few distros to choose from based on your answers to those questions
    • If you go to Distrowatch.com, on the right hand side (you have to scroll down about halfway) there is a panel titled "Page hit ranking" which basically tells you which distros have been most popular on their site recently. This will at least give you a good idea of which ones are being used the most right now. I would suggest picking something in the top twenty so if you need to google a problem, you will get lots of help.

I personally recommend Kubuntu, Ubuntu, or Debian for your first distro although, like AT, I've heard good things about the new Fedora. Use one of the *ubuntu's for something easier on you, and Debian if you like a higher learning curve.

6. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Thank you for your reply Fred...I appreciate it.

I use my computer for email, word processing, browsing the web, listening to music, watching movies, storing information, and some photo editing.

Edit: I have in the past...and might in the future Chat on line with (the Linux equivalent to) something like Yahoo Messenger.

7. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

My apologies everyone... I have revisited Distrowatch and find it more useful than I first saw it...Thank you Fred.

I still welcome your input to my last post.

I can not believe the latest screen shots for Ubuntu:eek:I could not put that on my worst enemies machine... I simply could not go there.:uugly:

8. little dave

little dave Geek Trainee

The best part of a Linux distro is the price free. Download any that you find interesting and see how you like them. I like Ubuntu it was the first Linux distro I tried so I'm used to it. That doesn't mean that it is the best. Download and burn some and see how you like them. If you decided on Ubuntu Let us know any we can help getting you pointed it the right direction.

9. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Thank you for your kind offer Little Dave...I really do appreciate it...But I assure you...that my computer will never show that screen shot...No offense intended...But it wants to make me puke.

10. little dave

little dave Geek Trainee

You mean like[​IMG] Remember you can make your desktop look and act like anything you want.

11. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Making your desktop look and act like anything you want was difficult to do with Dapper Drake.

No I mean like this...The Brown ones...
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope Alpha 3 Screenshots | The Coding Studio - Linux, BSD, Solaris & Other OS Screenshots | The Leader in Linux, BSD, Solaris & Other OS Screenshots | Screen Shots of Linux Distributions, BSD, Solaris & Other OSes | Linux, BSD

I have a problem with why anyone would package a Distro like that...It does not send a very good message.

12. little dave

little dave Geek Trainee

Dark is dark( hows that for a answer) After you install you can pick and have running any theme you want.

13. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

I guess it is as dark as you want it to be...Again I want to really thank you for your contribution to this thread...I really do appreciate it.:)

Cheers.

14. zeus

zeus out of date

Have you condsidered Xubuntu. Much quicker than ubuntu.

15. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Thank you zeus...I will keep that in mind in the event that I end up dissatisfied with Kubuntu...Which I have chosen to try out first.

16. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Not that I'm trying to dissuede you; in fact I think you should try several distros. But keep in mind that Kubuntu and Xubuntu are all really Ubuntu under the hood. The only difference between them is which desktop interface they use by default. Ubuntu ships with Gnome as the default, Kubuntu with KDE, Xubuntu with Xfce.