Seeking printer/scanner suggestions (laundry list inside)

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by SteveMcCool, Jun 14, 2004.

1. SteveMcCool

SteveMcCool Geek Trainee

Hello,

I'm going off to college in the fall and assembling my own collection of computer gear. Recently I began looking at printers & scanners. I am use to multifunctions, but then realized going back to a standard printer w/separate scanner would be better for my purposes. I am purchasing a laptop computer and wish to connect the printer to a Linksys printserver in Ad-hoc mod for trully wireless printing. I can then have a separate scanner for copy/scanning needs. I am considering this setup because multifunction printers require bidirectionality, which I don't think print servers can support. And, even if the print function at least works, I would definately not be able to scan. In that case, I would have to plug and unplug for scanning, and if I have a separate scanner it's just easier.

So, in regards to a printer, I am primarily concerned with price. Not only with the printer itself, but with the ink cartriges. I am looking for $50 and under, no bidirectionality, & cheap ink. USB 2.0 would be nice, but the printserver I'm getting supports 2.0, 1.0, and parallel. And, of course, as much print quality/speed I can get for the parameters I've specified. Currently I am looking at the Canon i350 Bubble Jet. $49.99 from Microcenter, USB (doesn't specify 2.0 so I'm assuming not), color & black cartridge combined about $25.00 off amazon.com. If anyone has any info about this printer, or other suggestions, I would appreciate them greatly.

With regard to the scanner: I actually have an older scanner that I use to use with my desktop before I got a multifunction. It was a good deal for $15 from staples, a Memorex something-or-other. It worked pretty well generally, but was not made for WinXP and still had some of the problems you saw installing devices with Win98. So my concern is that, what with my plan to plug and unplug the scanner as usage requires, it wouldn't be the best call.

Now for the laundry list. I am looking to stay in the price range of $50 or less. Other than that, WinXP full compatibility is a must. Again, what I intend to do is connect and disconnect a lot so I need a machine that doesn't give me guff when installed. I want a machine that will plug in, autoinstall (after I get the software on there initially, of course), and be ready to go without a hassle. USB 2.0 would be nice, but not required. And, of course, as much quality/speed/power as I can get within the specified parameters. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions offered.

If anyone has any info about either of these, or suggestions for other products I might be interested in, I thank you in advance.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What kind of printing will you be doing? The reason I ask, is because if you're going to be doing alot of text, Samsung's ML17xx series of laser printers can be had under $100 (like $80-90). Since these use a toner cartridge instead of an ink cartridge, you'll get more prints. While that cheaper printer may be fine, you generally get it stuck to ya with less efficient ink use.

Unless you find something used, I'm not sure you'll what you'll find as far as scanners go for under $50. Generally, HP is pretty good, but they're not exactly cheap.

Companies pimp USB 2.0 as a big selling point, so if it doesn't say so, it doesn't have it.