serscan.sys

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by sunshine5, Mar 12, 2011.

1. sunshine5

sunshine5 Geek Trainee

I installed my HP wireless 6500 printer and everytime I boot I get a message that says The file serscan.sys on Windows XP Home Edition CD ROM is needed. The path that it is searching is C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\hpwscu01_D71A5E815C9E 2CE251F9E09D25F138E2D0C53F2A\i386. It did not find it there. I did a search for this file on the HD and it did not find it. The computer came loaded with Windows XP Home so I do not have the CD. I called HP and they spent 1/2 hour looking around my computer and downloading some fixes but could not find the file either. The printer works wireless but it is a pain everytime I boot my computer. Anyone have any ideas?

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Try this: Look for .zip file "driver.cab" under C:\Windows\i386. If you can't find it, search it. Once you've found the file, open it. In the .zip, look for the file "serscan.sys". Once you've found it, extract the file to your desktop. Now run the printer again and when it asked you for the file, point the search to your desktop.

sunshine5 and Sniper like this.
  3. sunshine5

sunshine5 Geek Trainee

That worked thank you
    Do I need to leave the file on my desktop or can I delete it?

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Nice ;).
    I wouldn't delete it just because your printer might prompt you to search for the file again. I would store it somewhere safe in your documents or even the Windows folder.