Site Updates

Discussion in 'Graphics Design' started by Waffle, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I'll post all the updates and changes here, to keep it organised.

• Added a Shout Box - go check it out
    • Got another affiliate - that's 3 now
    • Working on a content submission form for users to send in tuts, sigs etc
    • Added tutorial by Exfoliate
    • Updated do50's tutorial with more photographs

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

You work really fast dude, the site is excellent, very professional. An excellent addition the HF! I'll gladly work on some more stuff if you need it.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Thanks man. Well I took a break from it today and went ice skating :) but I've now got your new tuts uploaded, as well as your profile.

• 3 New Tuts by Exfoliate
    • Staff Profile for Exfoliate
    • Applied for 4 more affiliates

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Ok I've tweaked the coding and created another content box, so now the Site Stats and Shout box are in their own little content windows.

Let me know how it looks on your ends, and make use of the shout box to check it works!

If you can think of any other box we could add, such as a poll, post it here and I can add another box for it to go in.

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

After visiting many graphic related websites, and asking for feedback, I have redesigned the content bars of the site to make upgrades and editing a lot easier.

Take a look, I hope you like it.

And notice on the home page where it says "Staff Comments", I want a couple of you to write something to go there, dont matter what.

Later @ All :)

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Increadable overhaul mate! Site loads MUCH faster, within about 5 seconds! compaired to a couple minutes, layout is greatly improved (and I liked the origional too), and I prefer the gfx site buttons to remain stationary like they are, I haven't checked 'em out yet but they were slightly distracting before. If I would change one thing I'd say that possibly a subtile tech border around the columns would finish it off very nicely but it looks great how it is. Excellent job Waffles.

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Hmm it loads quicker but I dont really like it as much as the old layout.

8. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I've added a poll and it works surprisingly so we can get feedback on the new design.

the site loads up a lot faster and is *so* much more easy to update and change parts.

Exfoliate has already suggested adding a border to the content boxes, so perhaps you would like to have a go, nic?

I can always stick the old one back on, but this way is totally easy to update. Poor english I know.

Also added a "Splash" Intro screen. If anyone knows flash, they might want to save that current page and add some fancy effects like rollovers and sparkly things.

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think its much better than the last one, much brighter and easier on the eyes :) you getting good Waffle :)

though I'd get rid of the intro page, imho they serve no purpose other than to look nice.

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Ok will do :)

I'm experimenting with php?=id for the site pages, so hopefully that'll work nicely.

not sure of the benefits but im told search engines index the whole page, whereas using iframes only indexs the iframe content, with no navigatione etc.

11. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yeh using any kind of i/frames is a bad idea, should have told before you started. I think you will find that very few sites use frames. I don't really know of any sites which does.

I remember when I first got the php?=id to work, it was so cool :cool:

12. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Waffles I would do a border but i havn't a clue how to.. If you'd like to tell em how id be more than happy to give it a go

13. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

See like the header style, with the 4 bars along the top? Well we would use that as the theme for the content boxes, so copy on of those bars, get the colours from it - use the dropper tool on both ends to get the gradient, then create a document that is a set 401 pixels wide, and about 100 high.

Then all ya gotta do is take the rectangle tool at a set size, set it to about 10 pixels, or whatever suits you, then fill it with black. move it to the far side of the new document, then give it a stroke and the colour overlay using the same colours.

Then move the bar in 5 pixels so when its sliced, all of the images border is shown, and not just 3 sides. Then just duplicate it and move it to the other side, but 5 pixels in.

Can anyone reading this use the poll feature, and let me know if it remembers your vote! In IE for me, it remembers my vote and won't let me vote again, but FF resets itself each time, and so i can vote unlimited times.

14. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Im in FF and i could vote yesterday and today but if i shut the site and go on again I cant just vota again

15. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

oh thats something then. I'll see if i can tweak it a little.

cheers

16. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Ok long time since any real updates, but today I have:

Removed the contact form and other boxes, brought the whole site "up".

Cleared up and archived our news - Comments PLEASE :p

Added a brand new template, so check that out.

17. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

omg!! :) :D

somebody finally other than me used the comments system :p

we swapped affililates, check em out http://diffusion.us/