Slightly erratic mouse

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by henry222, Aug 10, 2014.

1. henry222

henry222 Geek

My desktop PC uses Win7(32) and it has a wireless Optical mouse.
    Recently I changed the Mouse batteries and it continues to work ( red light underneath ). However, I'm experiencing rather odd effects when left-clicking to select items. ( eg in Wordprocessing and Video Editing which are far apart in Processor-demand ).
    It does work, L&R buttons and in Control Panel I've selected the "Slowest" speed for clicking, but it continues to be rather jerky when selecting...like it selects and then doesn't. I have a steady hand, so I don't think it's User Faulty, but that's what it behaves like.
    Change the mouse, I hear you cry!
    Today I tried a wired-mouse....but maybe I've forgotten something - but from a cold-boot with USB wired-Optical connected (and the usb- radio dongle thingy removed), I expected the PC to recognise the wired mouse...but no.
    [ The mouse is in a bag marked "OK Win7/32" - so I must have used it some while ago, before wrapping it up in favour of the Wireless one.]
    Plugging-in the radio dongle even without reboot and the wireless mouse springs into action - with the same erratic fault - but at least it works.... so I'm able to shut-down Win without those pesky messages.

Any thoughts?- - - -
    1) on fixing the wireless mouse?
    and
    2) as to why I can't use a known working USB wired mouse?
    Wired mouse does flash red when plugged-in if the USB radio dongle
    is present . . . . so I guess the power is getting through . . . .
    Wireless mouse has two extra buttons on the Left, can't discover what they do, but they are never used. It's a Technica Model.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Perhaps something on BIOS, like USB legacy support, might help.

3. henry222

henry222 Geek

Well, I thank you for the effort, fourtunately I fixed (?) it with another wired mouse.... this worked correctly and Programs now behave a lot better. The Optical mouse I took apart, but frankly with sm components there is little to see - even with a x10 Lupe. I cleaned off some surface junk/flux and re-assembled it (twice!).... it seems the optical alignment is rather fussy....
    However, this proves that the "Device is working normally" in Control Panel / Mouse . . . is far from perfect. Indeed it might be said to be a lie wrapped in an enigma. . .

So it seems that in future I need to have a spare wireless mouse glued to the side of the computer; so I can break open the pack and check it against the "Everyday" device. [i.e. as quick as saying "Mouse!" ].

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014