Slot 1 motherboard question

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by boba, Jun 3, 2006.

1. boba

boba Geek Trainee

I finally got a new PC to replace my 6 year old Gateway Performance500.
    Rather than bin the old PC I've decided I'd like to buy some cheap parts on ebay and see if I can improve it a little and at the same time learn a bit.
    It's a slot1 Jabil Tabor3 motherboard with a Intel 440BX chipset and it has the latest Phoenix bios 4W4SB0X0.15A.0019.P14 that enables it to run processors up to 1gig Gateway Support - 4000532 Intel (Tabor3) BX Motherboard R3 The maximum FSB for the motherboard is 100Mhz

Currently the processor is a Pentium3 500mhz 100MhzFSB SECC2 http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...ocFam=25&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

I was think of replacing it with a faster Pentium3 100MhzFSB SECC2 processor but I'm concerned about the different core voltages they work at. Currently my one runs at 2V but faster Pentium3 SECC2's tend to run at different voltages (example 1.65V and 1.7V)

My question is if I want to change the processor will I have to choose another 2V type or will my motherboard accept proccesors with different core voltages and automatically adjust to them?

Also if I put a 133MhzFSB processor in would it work?

2. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

the new lower voltage pentium 3 shud work becoz normally the motherboard automatically adjusts the voltage but u mite have to manually adjust via jumpers on the mobo. read ur manual to see wat u have to do.

as for the 133mhzfsb working with 100mhz fsb, the processor will work but at a lower clock speed. for example if the processor shud run at 933mhz nd the fsb is 133, then the multiplier is seven giving it a total of 933mhz but if u were to run that processor at 100mhz when u multiply it by the multiplier which in this case wud be seven, u get a total of 700mhz clock speed so it wud be slower. the p3 multipliers are locked so u cant increase them. if u want to keep the cost down nd just want to upgrade the processor, u mite aswell get the 100mhz fsb but if u want to get a motherboard in the future nd can cope with the slow speed, then u cud get the 133mhz fsb one.

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Your motherboard will automatically detect the new voltage settings so you don't have to worry about it!

I am afraid you can only use 100MHz FSB processers.

By the way, Slot 1 processors are very expensive on eBay. Especially the high end 1GHz processor. You could save yourself a lot of money by buying a Slocket and a Socket 370 processor instead.

This is a slocket:

[​IMG]

4. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

mega, i thought u cud use 133mhz on a 100mhz fsb but it will only work at the max fsb (100mhz) on the mobo. i used a sempron 333mhz fsb on my 266mhz fsb board nd it worked fine, jus that it was a bit slower coz it ran at 266mhz

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The 440BX chipset on that motherboard only officially supports 66, and 100MHz FSB's. I think Abit and a few other companies had 440BX boards that could do 133, but from what I understand, Intel only officially sanctioned 66 and 100MHz FSBs. I don't think any 4xx chipset officially supported 133MHz, but I could be wrong as this hardware is pretty old.
    The i815, i810, and i820 all supported the 133MHz FSB, as did the Via Apollo Pro 133/133A. There's also SiS and ALi chipsets, but I don't know which ones specifically.

6. boba

boba Geek Trainee

Thanks for the replies guys:)
    After a bit of googling I read on a forum in the states that a 1gig 133Mhz was used in the same motherboard and it ended up running at 750Mhz.
    I assume that's because 1000/133=7.5. So you times 1000*7.5 and you get 750Mhz..........I think:confused:
    Are we allowed to give links to other forums or is that against the rules? (I don't want to get off on the wrong foot :O )

From what I understand Gateway had this motherboard manufactured so the FSB can't be doctored. I suppose I could replace it with a 133Mhz type but I'm guessing I'd then have to replace my 100Mhz ram with the 133Mhz version (is this right?)
    I don't really want to go down the path of new MoBo, Processor & Ram

The slocket idea seems a good one especially as they are cheap on ebay.:)
    That will allow me to use many of the processors here
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?ProcFam=25&NoNav=NO&CorSpd=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&MfgTech=ALL&step=ALL&cache=ALL&PkgType=ALL&btnFOS=Filter+on+selections

Now I've just thought of something else I should consider........cooling.
    My current processor relies on a heatsink and the airflow from the PSU fan that is directed to it through a plastic shroud.
    Is there a way of determining what processors allow this and which ones require there own fan, I've searched the Intel site for a list but I can't find one.:eek:hah:

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The math is correct. The 1GHz CPU with the 133MHz FSB uses a 7.5x multiplier.

As far as links to other sites, it's not a problem. We're mainly concerned with people who are posting links simply for site promotion, not for help or to illustrate a point.

A lot of pre-built boxes for the masses from Dell, Gateway, etc. use what you're describing mostly to keep the system quiet. However, having an active heatsink---meaning one with a fan attached---is going to help. Slot 1 is rather old, but if you look around you can find them, or pick them up used pretty cheap. I don't have any links, but I'd check the local shops to see what they carry.

8. boba

boba Geek Trainee

That makes sense I've always thought that the PC was quiet.
    I've just touched my heatsink and processor (It's on 0.25 micron technology) and it doesn't feel hot at all, in fact it's barely warm.
    When I get a new processor it's likely it will be 0.18 micron and will probably run hotter but where is the cut off point. When do you say a heatsink is sufficient and when do you say that a fan is required.:eek:hah:

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, lower micron processors produce less heat. In turn, this allows them to clock higher with less voltage, or the same voltage as the higher micron predecessors. Going to an 0.18 micron chip is going to produce less heat at the same speed than a 0.25 micron one will.

10. boba

boba Geek Trainee

Doh! I thought it was the other way around:O
    I thought less microns=less space=cramming more into the chip. And less microns=smaller conductors=more heat generated.
    Oh well at least I'm learning:good:

So is it ok to run all Pentium3's with heatsinks or is there a point when you have to use a fan?
    Is there some sort of guidelines laid out somewhere?

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

With the right cooling, a lot of stuff can be run with just a heatsink. However, you have to factor in the airflow in the case. If it's running with a heatsink, your not overclocking, and you're not getting temps over 60*C or to the point where it's crashing, you're fine.

12. boba

boba Geek Trainee

Hello again:hi:
    Slockets where mentioned early as an alternative way to upgrade the processor on my motherboard. I read somewhere that you can overclock some types of slockets but the problem is I know next to nothing about this subject.
    Just to recap the motherboard is an elderly Gateway slot1 with a 100MhzFSB and it can't be overclocked. If I use a slocket will this allow me to overclock the processor? If so will it be just be the processor overclocking or will it affect other parts of the system as well?:confused:

13. megamaced

Some Slockets have jumpers on them that will allow you to overclock the processor. The jumpers control the FSB and can usually be set to 100MHz, 112MHz, 133MHz and beyond.

So in theory you could overclock a 1Ghz 100MHz FSB processor to 1.3GHz :)

By the way, you won't be able to use any Pentium 3 processor above 1GHz. This is because they use a different core, called the Tuitian. Whereas the Pentium 1GHz and below use the Coppermine core.

14. boba

boba Geek Trainee

Thanks for pointing out the 1GHz thing. I've just checked ebay and the price seems to escalate for Tuitans, so I shall try and pick up a bargain sub 1GHz.
    I'm also staying clear of the Slot1 1Ghz/100Mhz processor, one recently went in the UK for £52 inc P&P ($97) :eek: The 1Ghz socket 370 aren't cheap either.:eek:hah:

Have I got my maths right. If I get a 850Mhz/100MhzFSB and overclock it to 112Mhz it will run at 952Mhz and if I overclock to 133Mhz it will run at 1.13Ghz. but the motherboard and it's components I assume will carry on running at 100MHzFSB?

15. megamaced

Yeah, the auction price for a slot 1 processor is shocking! :eek: Why bother spending that much on old techology, when an AMD Sempron isn't much more expensive brand new!

I picked up a Slocket for £2 and a 1GHz/100MHz Socket 370 processor for about £20. That worked out a lot cheaper for me.

If you choose to overclock the processor, your motherboard and RAM will overclock too! Overclocking works best when the motherboard bus and RAM support higher speeds then the processor FSB. If that was the case, you could safely overclock the processor to 133MHz without damaging the motherboard in the process.

You could upgrade the RAM to PC133 which would increase stability. But your motherboard would still be working overtime

The most I dare overclock my Pentium 3 100MHz based computer is to 112MHz. Which gives me a 1.12GHz processor (originally 1.0GHz). It runs just fine at this speed. I have overclocked to 133MHz a few times, but I always get the Blue Screen Of Death!

16. boba

boba Geek Trainee

Thanks for that info cos that is going to come in very handy :good:

Especially as I've just bought a 700Mhz/100mHz Pentium3 370 socket, fan+heatsink and a MS6095 v2.3 slocket (similar to the one in post#3) for £10.51:)
    OK I would of preferred a faster processor but I've got the slocket sorted and hopefully I've got the cooling sorted as well, now I can experiment with the 700Mhz until something better comes up :)

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The MSI slockets (the MSxxxx label means it's MSI aka Microstar International) are supposed to be pretty good, along with the ones Asus put out.

18. boba

boba Geek Trainee

Well my slocket and 700Mhz processor arrived. I put in, checked it with wcpuid H.Oda!'s Home Page and it's been working fine for the last few days. I'm now looking out for a 1Ghz processor on ebay:good:

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll shall be staying around to increase my knowledge but I think it's time to mark this thread 'Resolved' :hi: