Slow boot up..

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by willyfromnc, Jul 24, 2006.

1. willyfromnc

willyfromnc Geek Trainee

Ok i been different forums and gave hjt log and everybody says that my computer is free of spywaresn all that. So, they couldnt figured out why my computer was taking so much time when booting up. Here's my problem everytime i turn my computer on it takes like 7 minutes seriously, on the "xp logo" i dont know whats going on. there been people saying driver problem others networks card and stuff. Any help please..

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

1. Try removing all usb devices like joysticks, printers etc

2. If you are connected to a network, unplug it.

3. Try booting in Safe Mode (keep pressing F8 whilst the computer is starting to switch on, repeatedly every second(ish) until a menu comes up, then select safe mode and boot it), see if it takes as long.

What are your computer specifications? Do you have anything like Norton Antivirus installed?

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you may need to format & reinstall XP

how long has XP being installed ?
    which flavour of XP do you have ?
    have you tried scandisk & defrag (preferably in safe mode) ?

EDIT: what spyware / malware software did you run ?
    and as thomas234 said, what AV software are you running ?

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Another main reason of Slow startup could be your hardware. If you are running WinXP on a very old hardware like P2, then you will definately see a long startup..

So, could you please specify your Hardware?

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

How much RAM do you have inside your computer?

6. willyfromnc

willyfromnc Geek Trainee

ok i dont know much but im going to give u some info on my computer.
    Its a dell , am with 512 mb , xp professional, sp2, intel (r) pentium M, processor 1.73 GHZ, i bought this computer about 1 year ago so its kinda* new i dont have the cd to install xp again. i've done disk defrag but not on safe. Im going to go to safe mode and see if it takes longer on the xp logo. and do a disg defrag there too. Also i dont have much drivers like printers connected because this is a laptop, which im only using wireless internet, but i dont know it used to be pretty fast the first months and all that, but all of the sudden it just slowed down. Also can u guys tell me about the msconfig stuff maybe its because its loading all services and programs and stuff like that..Oh! and i dont have Norton Antivirus i have Trend Micro Pc-Cillin. please help me out guys.

7. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Just so you know, safe mode doesn't display the windows logo, instead it shows what it is doing. It will look like a load of rubbish, but after a while the login screen should be shown (You can only get onto Administrator accounts).

MSconfig - Go to Start Menu, click Run, type msconfig and press ok. At the top of the box that comes up there are some tabs. Click Startup and it will list all the programmes that start up when your laptop starts. Count how many there are listed, and tell us if there are you don't recognize.

eg on my laptop I have 19, I recognize Belkin 802.11g Wireless Startup Utility, but I don't recognize PCHealth.

Hope this helps.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

uninstall some stuff you no longer need (i think XP can (at best) run about 20 -30 applications), only use 1 AV software,

what spyware software did you run ?

9. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Do you mean at boot time, or alltogether? Alltogether, in the add or remove programmes I have 115 listed.

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

try this: After computer has started up, Right click on my computer and choose
    properties,now you are in systems properties: next choose Advanced,Next
    click on setup and recovery and choose settings...Now under (time to display
    list of operating systems) change to 5 seconds and then change (time to display recovery options to 5 seconds ).. this might help you,Also there are a number of things which can be turned off in XP to make your computer allot faster, I have a list.. Let me know if this first method works first..:D

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yes altogether, yes in Add / Remove programs

what spyware software did you run ?

12. willyfromnc

willyfromnc Geek Trainee

Ok i did that and i have 25 in there omn thhe start up list. Here are some that i dont know.

- SynTPEnh
    -pccguide-issch
    isuspm
    igfxtray
    igfxpers
    tfswctrl
    bldbubg
    jusched
    TMAS_OEMon
    Adobe Gamma Loader
    dlbcserv.
    I dont know any of themcan u guys tell me if i need them or take them out whatever is necessary. I did the disk defreg on safe mode. And yeah, it didnt show the xp logo but it did have my name and Administrator. but i chose Admin. Thnx for ur help.

13. willyfromnc

willyfromnc Geek Trainee

Ok, i did that but it still the same.

14. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

try this

CCleaner.com

It deletes useless registry entries that slow bootup and general performance. It cant harm your pc and its a free download. just run it. Ive seen some awsome speed ups before so give it a try

15. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok! What kind of computer do you have and Did it come with a recovery disk?
    In the long run,It would probably be allot easier to just do a recovery..
    How long have you had this computer?

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well i tend to think, if i don´t reconize it, or know if i don´t need it, then uninstall it, Adaware may remove some, i'also recommend Avast AV rather than PC-Cillin,

i recommend you uninstall what you don´t reconize, and i don´t think you need any of those listed, but uninstall is best done in Add / Remove programs or the programs own uninstaller

Edit: just to cover yourself create a restore point, in case everything goes tits up

17. Karanislove

Also remove the windows startup sound from control panel>sounds.....to give a little boost in startup.

18. willyfromnc

willyfromnc Geek Trainee

ok i removed the sound from the taskbar. Still is slow. One more question. What do u guys have in msconfig on the Geneeral tab? Normal Start up , Diagnostic Start up?, or Selective start up. I have the selective start up and it has a checkmark on all of the boxes and at the bottom has a dot on Use Original Boot ini. Is this correct or change it?

19. Karanislove

I have normal startup selected on my computer....

20. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I have selective startup. I think that this is because I have unchecked some of the options on the startup tab.