Small network issues

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by thomas234, Jun 1, 2008.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I'm trying to add broadband to a small network which previously worked fine. Where the modem is now, there used to be a cable that connected the 2 routers either side. When all IP's are manually configured (dhcp off), everything is how it used to be, including no internet (even though it has to go through the modem/router!).

I've included 2 diagrams showing how it's setup. Please help!!! The aim is to have internet access on DKS (MINILAB), SHOPCOMPUTER, ATHLON64-2GHZ, JAMESCOMPUTER and ACER5050. It's also essential that JAMESCOMPUTER can see shared folders on DKS (MINILAB)!

Thanks, Thomas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Have you set the DNS server of the 2 routers to the IP address of the main router that is directly connected to the internet?

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Nope, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks, Thomas

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:confused:

@RH: the 3 routers are all connected to the modem

thomas, this would be much easier if you used a single router & 2 switches & it would be much cheaper

however, if you connect only 1 router to the modem & disable DHCP on the other 2 routers, this effectively converts a router into a switch

Edit: effectively making your notwork topology look something like the attatchment

Attached Files:

5. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Hmm I think I'm getting confused between routers and switches!

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that they're all switches (except the modem)!

:(

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

so, presumably the modem is a combined router & modem & switch

switches usually have only RJ45 connections & a power connection[ot]i killed a switch by connecting it to the wrong PSU[/ot]routers have RJ45 connections & 1 or more RJ11 connection (an old 56k modem connection from modem) & obviously power

7. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

In that case, they're switches! Just out of interest, why would a router have an RJ11 socket?

Thanks!

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

routers have at least 1 RJ11 socket to connect the router to the microfilter which connect the router to the phone line (exactly like the connector on an old 56k modem)

i assumed you were using separate modem, router & switch because your diagram showed a separate modem nowadays routers usually come with integrated modem, switch & built in firewall (Windoze boxes still need a software firewall) my new router i've ordered also has a FXS VoIP port (to connect a standard telephone) & a FXO port to enable that telephone to work through the router over a standard PSTN automatically when your broadband is down

i think you may be best to start with a new network topology diagram, shall i attempt a rough one for you ?

BTW: can you list exactly what you have (make & model) if you what a rough topological diagram

Edit:[ot]i thought you knew more than me about networking, presumably you lack the practical stuff, correct ?[/ot]

Edit:
    RJ11 connector
    [​IMG]

9. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Yes a diagram would help, although I cannot get make and model numbers until next Saturday (it's a Saturday job!). The talktalk modem is a huwei 520s, but that's all I can remember. DKS (MINILAB) and the 2 kiosks cannot have their network settings changed, it took a network expert hours to get them setup apparently :D , and I don't want to break them!

Thanks, Thomas

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ok, what you / they have is an Huawei Echolife 520s - wireless router & 2 switches, i'll get GIMPing your network topological diagram

BTW: it would take me hours because i don't fully understand networking, so, bear with me please, but a network expert like AT wouldn't take that long

the only reason i don't fully understand networking is: i only have my single home system to play with & only have other forums & wiki to rely on, but, i'm always learning & willing to try new stuff, anyway, i'll get started with GIMP

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

[​IMG]

it's not brilliant but you get the idea

BTW: the switches are actually routers with DHCP disabled, one 1 DHCP server should be active

the only active DHCP server, i think, should be the router connected directly to the net :unsure:

and the wireless i can't comment cos i've never seen or used wireless, but, then again, i've never setup a network, so, i don't know how i know :cool:

Edit: all cabling is CAT 5 U/S TP Ethernet

12. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Thanks donkey that's fantastic!! I'll have a look on Saturday to see what I can do.

Thomas

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well i wouldn't say that, i didn't even use the correct symbols, but, like i said, you get the idea

it's actually your original pic with a few bits cut off & some other bits pasted on

your more than welcome BTW: it's actually my first attempt at a network topology diagram & i'm pleased / glad you like it

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

turn DHCP on on the router connected directly to the net because if the router has DHCP on it acts like a switch whereas with DHCP on it will fully enable the router, then it may just work

Edit: if it works, it is because enable or disabling DHCP (very basically) turn routing on or off, obviously it does far more than that, but try it first

Edit:
    yes, becaus it was acting like a switch, enable DHCP & it should act like a router