Socket-939 To Be Phased Out

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by pelvis_3, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

BUT, don't panic yet.

According to Un-Named motherboard manufacturers, AMD is prepearing to launch their new Socket M2 940 Pin CPU's, a Dual Core processor codenamed Windsor and the single-core Orleans and Manila processors mid 2006. As a result of this, all socket 939 CPU's will be Phased out one year after the Socket M2's release.

AMD has already been in the testing phase of the Socket M2 processor for quite some time now, and is not expected to be released untill the second quarter of 2006 - a liitle later than expected.

Source - Digitimes

2. Addis

Addis The King

Well socket F is also rumoured, something like 1207 pins on it.

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Yeah, I found a site about the Socket F but it was in dutch, but all i could make of it was it's for Opteron's!

4. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

1200 Pins...That's insane. Will the micron process technology decrease too with the new socket type?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's correct. The other thing is that it's going to use an LGA socket like the current LGA775 Pentium4/D's do and use DDR2. Socket M2 will use DDR2 as well.

939 would be phased out eventually, but I was expecting the timetable to be a little later. Then again I've not been up on technology like I used to.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah I can't say M2 is really exciting but I'm glad AMD is on the ball, DDR2 will pretty pretty good by then.
    Curiously enough the ASRock board my friend bought was apparently M2 ready, there were a bunch of jumpers you could configure and a weird CPU upgrade slot that looked like AGP, totally weird. I almost plugged my 6800 in there.

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Looks like I'll be sticking with my socket A for a little while longer.

8. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I nearly did the same, but i noticed the sticker saying "this is not an AGP slot... blah blah" (my 2nd pc, its a 754 motherboard with a 939 slot)

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah weird isn't it, how could a slot work for cpu's with a higher pin count?
    So if M2 accepts 940pin chips in theory wouldn't older FX chip like the FX 51 pop right in or is the pin orientation different? Guess we'll find out.

10. Addis

Addis The King

Don't think so, A64s now have an integrated memory controller for DDr, so putting an old FX wouldn't work as M2 uses DDR2. And thats if it fits, probably a different pin layout to stop people experimenting with expensive hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.