Something went pop :(

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by rob_hellfire, Jan 18, 2006.

1. rob_hellfire

rob_hellfire Geek Trainee

I was using my PC for revision and listening to music when i knocked the PC while grabbing a folder off the floor.

Something got upset and the computer froze solid and now all i can get on boot is fans spinning, no beep (POST ??) and nowt work, now managed to nick parents laptop for revision but that got boring quick so i thought i'd investigate, removed all peripherals and that to check for broken bits even though i suspected mb ro psu to no avail. So it got late i left it.

Anyways next day i takes out the mb to inspect and found:

**see attachment**

This thing looks like a transistor but who am i to know :)

The code on it is C5001 R

If anybody know what this is and whether i can buy a replacement i'd be damned grateful :)

Also includeed a picture of my mobo, suspect area is higlighted
    IT's a Gigabyte 7A -DXR revision.1

Thankyou very much for any hlp in advance, though i'll probably thank you again :)

Attached Files:

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If something on the board conducted where it shouldn't have, it would certainly explain the schorched components I see here. Really, the only viable solution for you is to replace the motherboard.

Hopefully the RAM was not damaged as well, but due to the proximity of the failure to your RAM, it is not improbable. When you get your replacement mobo, my advice is to run Memtest86+ on it overnight to test for errors. Even one bad sector on ram is one too many. Of course, this is even assuming the RAM is in good enough working order for the system to even boot with it...

3. rob_hellfire

Cool, thanx for info. well it was worth the hope of being that easy to fix :)

Anyways gonna be looking into buying new system instead of rebuild, 1.2ghz athlon and 356mb ram with shatty vid. card that's never heard of 3D :)

It just isn't worth it.

Till i get up and running i can't check the hdd, is there any chance that's corrupt or should it be okay as some of the content was irreplaceable??

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Shouldn't, but you might want to hook it up as a slave on another system and copy off any important files in the meantime. The reason for this is that unless you use another motherboard with exactly the same chipset, Windows will have a fit as it does not like to have the hard drive controller (which is integrated into the chipset) switched out from under it. That is why a format of the drive followed by a fresh install of Windows is recommended with a new motherboard.

5. rob_hellfire

It's all coming clear, thanx for the extra info. that's why i couldn't boot old pc with that harddrive :)

Not very good though, now gotta hand back dad's laptop now exams are finished and left with amd k2 500 :(

It's got velocity 4400 i think and 384mb sd ram

Gonna install xp if poss. and keep this thing goin till get job so can spend lots'a money :)

can't believe i've gone back to the first pc i built, must be gettin into it's teens :)