Sometimes no graphics card output! Strange problem. Help needed!

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by hiddepolen, Mar 2, 2011.

1. hiddepolen

hiddepolen Geek Trainee

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem (I have actually registered hete to post it): My NVidia 250 GTS is sometimes not recognised by my computer.
    I've tried:
    - Cleaning, replugging cables, checking everything...
    - checking my screen + cable. Nothing wrong.
    - videocard in another computer, 3 day boot sequence and benchmarks, all green light.
    - another PSU, not the problem.
    - updating BIOS, not the problem.
    - reinstalling + updating drivers.

Right now I'm on my onboard graphics card, which always works when my videocard doesnt. Once in a while, my videocard gives output, and I haven't been able to spot any pattern when it's doing so...

My rig:
    Intel Quad core Q6600, 4 GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce 250 GTS, 256 MB
    650 GB HDD, Windows 7 32bit + Ubuntu 10.10 dual-boot

Please respond, I'm out of options...

Thanks in advance,
    Hidde

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

Does the video just cut out randomly once you are in windows or does it happen when you boot the computer you get no signal? You said you tried the card with no issues in a different computer. Did you use same video cables/power cables from problem computer in the other computer? If not, try swapping out the video cable and power cable from the other one as your current video cable could have damage. If you are getting no video at boot time, I would also try running a memory test on your system's ram just to rule it out as a problem. If you test the cable, monitor, and card with another computer and it all works fine but then errors happen once back in the normal computer, my next thought would be power supply. Did you take the power supply from your other computer and test it in your troubled computer? If so and it still failed, it may be a problem with your system board. At that point, if you have another graphics card that can fit in the same slot as your current video card, I would try that. If it fails too, I would then clear/reset the bios on the system board. Unplug the computer and then remove the coin shaped battery on your system board, then hold the power button down for 10-15 secs then replace the battery and try booting again. If it still will not come up, do you have another slot on the system board you could try the card in? If so, see if the video card will work in that one. If it does, then I would say the problem lies with the pcie slot. At that point, you could try doing a bios update maybe to see if that will resolve the issue, but I would do that as a last resort.

3. hiddepolen

hiddepolen Geek Trainee

Hi,

Thanks for the long answer!
    The video does or does not work when booting. If it works, it keeps working, until I power it off. It is completely random (I think) when it works again the next time.
    I tried an entire other monitor, with the same cables, with different cables, everything.
    Also, I did a memtest86 +, came out completely well. No errors.
    I actually replaced the entire PSU, because I thought that might be the problem. The first ten boots worked, then it started failing again. I don't know why that is.
    You said a BIOS update as a last resort, I did one today. Newest version is up, still no change.
    I don't have anyother PCIe slot, but i might try another card (once more).

Thanks, I'll keep you updated.

Hidde