Sony Rooted my Windows Box!

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Anti-Trend, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Apparently, Sony is now in the business of exploiting weaknesses in Windows to enforce their agenda. It seems Sony's DRM software, who's sole purpose is to prevent you from making legally sanctioned copies of your own music CDs, is laden with rootkits - a technique used by the worst forms of malware. Interesting way for Sony to thank us for buying their music. Oh, and in case you weren't feeling violated enough already, a nasty side-effect is that well known exploitable back doors are included.

Special thanks to Sony and Microsoft for making this news article possible.

Attached Files:

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

are we ok as long as we dont buy sony music?

3. Addis

Addis The King

This isn't going to help PR.

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

whats PR?

5. Addis

Addis The King

Public Relations, its not going to make Sony look good to customers.

6. Anti-Trend

7. AXP

AXP Geek Trainee

Bad Sony! :smash:

8. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

We really dont need this crap, surely theres enuf problems without sony beacoming one :(

Just makes you wonder, what is windoze really doing? (what i mean what spyware does microsoft bundle with it?)

9. Anti-Trend

Well, I know that every version of Windows I've ever worked with had known spyware preinstalled in it. As for unknown spyware... only MS and their partners know the answer. That's the reason I never recommend MS' antispyware software -- seems like a conflict of interest on their part.

10. Impotence

I Never thought of that! We really need a list of do's and dont's (The ten comandments of computing?)

11. Anti-Trend

That'd be nice, but as long as the source code is out of our hands we really have no control over what does or doesn't go into the software. For all we know, there could be a backdoor in Windows for the FBI/CIA/whomever. In fact, this may sound like paranoia, but I'd actually be surprised if it was otherwise given the current state of affairs.

12. Impotence

Hasnt the microshaft been forced to realease the source code by the euopean union?? Im sure i read that somewhere... Even if this is true the u can bet your bootstrapper that there not going to release the 'real' source code :(

13. Anti-Trend

They've pulled dirtier tricks in days gone by, so I wouldn't doubt it. Of course I'm so jaded towards MS and the whole mindset of "good enough" and "everybody else [does it / uses it / listens to it]" these days that I almost feel insane. It's a strange feeling to go against the flow instead of with it.