Sony vaio laptop graphics card went out. Can I bake it? Or use hot air gun?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by C W, May 10, 2012.

1. C W

C W Geek Trainee

I have a sony vaio vgn ar 870, its about 4 years old and is running a NVIDIA 8600m gt. This setup is known to have overheating problems.

A few days a ago I turned on the computer and I heard everything start up but the screen would not turn on. Within the first 5 seconds I heard 3 beeps come from the computer. 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. I looked it up and it means there is a problem with the gpu.

I cant replace the gpu cause it internal and attached to the mother board. I heard that if I bake it, it could make it work?

What is the process? I attached the picture of it, please give me a step by step intruction on how to do this. I am good with computers but have never "baked" one before.

I know my other option is to get a new motherboard but that is my last option because I am short on cash. So im gonna try the baking method if you guys think it might help.
    Thanks in advance. WP_000510.jpg

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

you just cant use an external monitor ??? Baking it !!! Really .. Would that melt all the wires...

3. C W

C W Geek Trainee

I dont know if your being serious but if you are its a common technique for fixing overheated graphics cards. Its called "reflowing".

4. ketone

ketone Geek Trainee

Hi C W,
    I am having same problem with my sony vaio VGNAR61E.
    Can you please let me know if you have tried this baking method?? If yes can you let me know how you have done it?? As there is only option of motherboard replacement to change my NVIDIA gpu, I can go ahead & try this thing.

I have opened up laptop cover & having same motherboard layout as in there in above picture. If I am not wrong, GPU is the one lying below copper casing on the downside of the picture [upper one is the processor], Correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks anyway.

5. C W

C W Geek Trainee

I did not use the baking method because it will melt any plastic you don't remove. I used a heat gun. Both methods "re-flow" the connection from the GPU to the MoBo. The heat gun method works better because I don't have to heat up everything, just the desired area. However, ot did not work, I tried it three times, but still nothing. I made sure it was hot enough by outtig a piece of solder on a piece of tin foil on top of the gpu as a temp gauge, once the solder melted I knew the solder in the GPU melted as well. That is the safest method and the one that I would recommend even though it was unsuccessful.
    Try it and let me know how it goes, I have heard good things about it and alot of people have had success with it. Let me know how it goes.. Good luck!