Soundcard & headset compatibility?

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Bakleth, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Bakleth

Bakleth Geek Trainee

Hi guys. I've got a Turtle Beach PX21 headset which has a usb connector and a green 3.5mm jack. I've also got a Soundblaster Recon 3D PCIe soundcard with the headset jack in the headphone socket and my stereo speakers jack in the speaker socket.

Problem is that when I disconnect the headset, I get no sound through the speakers so I have to restart without the USB plugged in.

Is there any way to run the two in harmony?

Thanks in advance

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

3. Bakleth

Bakleth Geek Trainee

Nope, just the card. The headphone socket is a bare metal port between the pink mic port and the green speaker port. Before the card, I used to have an extension from the speaker port and just swap the headset & speaker jacks, but primarily got the sound card so I wouldn't have to.

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

I think that panel is just for that you can switch output easily. Maybe that is not possible when plugging directly to card.

5. Bakleth

Bakleth Geek Trainee

Why would the card have separate inputs for speakers and headphones then? I may as well go back to switching the jacks out each time, but that does rather defeat the object.

All I want is to be able to do is use the speakers as a default unless the headset's plugged in. Then, when I unplug the headset, I want the speakers to work.

6. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Of course card must have separate outputs for speakers and headphones. Most users use only one of those.

That control panel should make that think work. Not sure why that did not come with card though.

Perhaps that card came with some sort of software that can do the trick.

7. Bakleth

Bakleth Geek Trainee

I'll have a look. Thanks