Startup Commands..

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ProcalX, Jul 19, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

hey all, i know you can add something to your computers startup merely by dragging and dropping it into the startup folder, but i was wondering is it possible to add my "message.doc" to startup, but so it only runs once.. then it deletes itself from the startup menu?

ie a user turns on his/her computer they see the message, then the next time they turn their computer on, it does not come up because it has deleted / removed itself from the startup.

any help well appreciated.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

this is the way I would do it, there might be a easier way? download the Startup CP from http://mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

You will find it in control panel, once you run it, go into the run once tab, then create a new entry by right clicking > new!

hmmm, are you looking to do this for every user who logs on?

I hope this helps!

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I would write a simple batch file that would call on your word processor to open your .doc file, then delete itself after running. Then all you have to do is add that batch to your startup folder.

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

only problem is the Call command in dos doesnt work for .doc files. only other batch files

5. Anti-Trend

...except I never said to call the .doc file :p

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Is there any reason you couldn't use Notepad? Unless it's a cardinal sin not to use Word, I'd just as soon use Notepad and save it as a .txt file.

7. Anti-Trend

You can easily have Windows display a message every time a user logs in, but it displays the message every time unless you remove it manually. This feature is really for places like public libraries, where you might want a legal disclaimer or warning whenever somebody logs in. Dunno if this helps or not... What are you trying to accomplish with this, if I might ask?

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

basically, i was bored at work, an employee had sent a laptop in, leaving a notepad document inside the startup, with a long message complaining of various problems and questions, i subsequently wanted to put "- my answer here" next to the questions or problems, so he could see what i said in reply, when he booted up..

but i wondered if it was possible for it to disappear after 1 boot up.. of course this is possible with third party software, and i am sure it is possible with MSDOS commands, but as i said.. i was bored and wanted to do something v.easy the hard way.. just curiosity :)