Startup Items Not Loading

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by pelvis_3, Aug 18, 2006.

1. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Hi all,
    I woke up this morning to a computer that won't load any startup programs such as my anitvirus, firewall etc.....
    I went to msconfig and the entries are not there nor are they in the registry.
    For the meantime, i'm using Tuneup Utilites Startup Manager for the necessities but would like a more permanent fix. Virus and spyware turn up clean also.
    Can anyone help me get my programs starting again?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

That should fix it permanently, no? Do you mean to say that the startup programs still don't start even after you've ticked them in Tuneup?

Have you checked whether the Avast! service is set to 'Automatic' in the Windows Services?

Start > Run > services.msc

That being said, Avast! wouldn't normally switch itself off like that. Do you remember what you were doing before everything went wrong?

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

crap! this happened to my work pc i had to format it before boss got back from holiday. network and internet wouldnt work, all startup stuff in the msconfig was missing was a 'right coffuffle' last thing i did was use msconfig for the "diagnostics startup" option. restarted and that happened.

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

They startup fine with Tuneup. Basically, i just wanted to know why or how they did that?

I don't use Avast. I use Symantec.