Stays on for only 5 seconds(arrr)

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by base836ball, Aug 18, 2006.

1. base836ball

base836ball Geek Trainee

I have a HP ze4420us with an AMD chip.
    The problem is that when i turn it on it only stays on for 5 seconds (exactly) then turns itself off. Every now and then it will go to the screen where it says press F2 for setup or ESC to change boot order, but after that it wont stay on long enough. I have changed mobo, power supply, and the chip works fine on my desktop. Even if i unplug the hard drive the BIOS should still load right?

Any help appreciated

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Did you check the Memory....... Run [link=http://memtest86.com]Memory Test V3.2[/link] overnight and see if you come across some errors...

3. base836ball

base836ball Geek Trainee

i cant, i turn the power button on and after 5 seconds it turns off, it doesnt even get to the start up screen where it runs the POST and what not... I have changed almost every component...im throwing it away lol

4. Karanislove

Does it incudes the RAM as well?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Check your CPU cooling. From the way it sounds, either your CPU cooling isn't attached so that it's making proper contact or the cooling fan isn't plugged (or broken).

Also, does this happen with the unit plugged into the wall or when it's running off the battery, or both?

6. base836ball

base836ball Geek Trainee

yea, i guess i would just toss it but i know the chip and mobo are good and the memory is new.....im stumped....maybe i will take it in somewhere

7. base836ball

base836ball Geek Trainee

yea i noticed that when i turn it on the fan doesnt move at all, so i had an extra one and same thing, wouldnt budge. the fan shoudl turn on instantly right?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, should, unless there's some thermal control, but even then, it should kick in. Laptops don't have a whole lot of room for heat disappation.

9. Karanislove

Also check to make sure if there is any loose connection...
    Remove the battery and switch it on with direct line..

10. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

maybe the battery has bit the dust and can no longer hold a charge?

11. base836ball

base836ball Geek Trainee

yea i exhausted all of your options but with no prevail....im just gonna put it in my closest till i get time to take it in..thanks anyways for all the suggestions

cheers