Stumbled over this info on wiki about SSD

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Redvirus, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Redvirus

Redvirus Geek Trainee

"""While SSDs appear to be more reliable than HDDs,[65][66] researchers at the Center for Magnetic Recording Research "are adamant that today's SSDs aren't an order of magnitude more reliable than hard drives".[67] SSD failures are often catastrophic, with total data loss. While HDDs can fail in this manner as well, they often give warning that they are failing, allowing much or all of their data to be recovered.[68]
    Traditional hard drives store their data in a linear, ordered manner. SSDs, however, constantly rearrange their data while keeping track of their locations for the purpose of wear leveling. As such, the flash memory controller and its firmware play a critical role in maintaining data integrity. One major cause of data loss in SSDs is firmware bugs, which rarely cause problems in HDDs"""
    I don't know when this was written nor if the information is valid for today's SSD disk...
    Corsair also has on they forum something about when they tested the disk after this 240TB of read and writes the disk simply vanish.
    Shall I have it as a normal data drive and make my installs there or shall I have it as system?
    My idea was to have it as system and to install Flight simulator X and many ad-dons, that's around 60-70GB, if the disk is holding at list 4 years that's OK, but I'm still very doubtful I seem to be reading everywhere that they fail faster than hard-drives, now I have had drive failing within 1 year and had drives running until I swapped them out for bigger.
    Also how much in rough nr does a windows 7 64bit setup write to disk by default without other programs like AV and such during 1 day. computer is permanently connected to internet and usually runs 3-4h day when I work And around 10h during weekends.

2. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

Windows 7 64 bit, is about 14Gb for me, but with updates it runs up to 17-19Gb..
    I have an SSD, works fine, although my computer has a slight issue I'm trying to resolve..
    Get an SSD from a reliable manufacturer that way you'll be happy with the SSD and you trust the company.

3. Redvirus

Redvirus Geek Trainee

I got home a Corsair gt 240gb disk, covered for 3years

4. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

Nice, I found my problem though, wasn't the SSD was faulty/bad batch of GPU.. Gonna RMA it.
    Corsair is pretty nice.