Suggestions needed for video card

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by swoop, Jul 10, 2003.

1. swoop

swoop Geek Trainee

My GF4 just burnt out on me. I guess the fan musta stopped or who knows. Anyway, I'm lookin for new video cards and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on companies to look at. I was lookin at ATI Radeon 9600s for around $140 from pricewatch.

I'm a gamer, mostly FPS. Not into overclocking. My GF4 suited me just fine while it lasted but when something you have dies, why not upgrade, no? :D

Mainly I wanted to have opinions on manufacturers that I should look out for. I've seen companies like PNY and Apollo and others out there that I know nothing about. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

For the Radeon's ATi is always good. You'll find the Sapphire Radeons to be cheaper, but still have the same level of quality as I understand. Hercules is a great company, but they tend to run a bit more than others.

I'm not sure what GF4 you had, but the Radeon 9500 Pro (the 9500's are being discontinued) was eqivalent to the Ti4600's.

3. swoop

swoop Geek Trainee

Thanks. I had the ti4200 and I'm gonna get an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with my $30 gift card to best buy and the $20 mail in rebate their offering, which I'll prolly never get but oh well, it's pulled down to about $150 so it's not bad for an offline price :)

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Nope. Not at all. Good deal, plus you're getting a much faster card.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Great deal !

I paid mine $265 cad, which is $195 usd.
    That's the Built-By-ATI one. You get: the card, the manual and the installation cd, nothing else. No games no nothing.

I have problems with mine but I think it's software related.
    I'll work on it once I get my new board, which I should have today.