Suggestions on surround sound for ps2.

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Exfoliate, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hey all, from what I gather I'm really missing out on a good bit of immersion when it comes to my PS2 games. I'm still just chugging along with my standard tv based speakers and am looking into picking up a reasonably priced set of 5.1 speakers. It's pretty obvious that the Logitech X-530's are incredably popular and likely for good reason but I don't know if they'd work with my ps2 and TV setup. If not are there adaptors I'd need. Also, most games boast ProLogic II support, I'm assuming it just means they run in surround sound but I don't see any speakers advertise this feature. Does it make a difference? Thanks all.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Well Pro Logic 2 actually upmixes Stereo to 5.1, True surround sound will be using DTS or DD5.1.

But from what I understand you need to use Optical for surround sound on the PS2, so your gonna need a set like the Logitech Z5400, even if you dont need a set that has Optical inputs, I would suggest you go for something like the Z5400, would be awsome and easy to set up compared to messing with adaptors and stuff, all you need with the Logitech speakers that have Optical inputs is to buy an Optical cable or use either Red or White RCA cable as coax.

Logitech Z5400/Z5450, Z5500, Z680 has PLII support, but the Z5400 which is the lowest of em all is like £135 and they dont make them anymore.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks bro, that's good to get some of that cleared up. Unfortunately that's a bit out of my price range but it's good to know what to shoot for. If the X530's would do the trick I'd jump on that one but for right now I guess I'll probably just have to save up.

4. Willz

The X530's wont quite work, I know there is gaming adaptors or something, but I just cant see them doing any good. Yea your best bet is to save up

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah you're probably right. I did spot these guys though that looked pretty decent for the price and said they had a game console adaptor. Newegg.com - Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker - Retail not sure if that's the ticket or not but it got me pumped for minute.

6. Willz

Yea its not bad, its got a matrix mode on it, but I heard that aint very good at upmixing to 5.1 like PL2 is, the X540's are basically the same as the X530's except with a different look and the sub is down firing now and not side firing like in the X530.