Summer Upgrade 2007

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Willz, May 21, 2007.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi, well this is going to be my biggest upgrade ever and I would like to share it with you and see what you all think.

[​IMG]

Thats my selection, what do you think? I dont know if I will buy the final parts at OcUK, might be Ebuyer but aint sure yet.

I aint sure if I should go for the HD2900XT or the 8800GTX but I think we shall have to wait untill wensday for that.

2. Crom

Crom Geek Trainee

You definitely want to read the reviews of the 2900 before dropping that kind of cash. There are several game benchmarks where the even the 8800 GTS beats the 2900XT. The 8800 series also renders better then any other gaming card out there. So well that it's being offered in CAD workstations over the low and midline FireGL and Quadro series.
    Also, if you can wait until mid to late July, you can get a q6600 for 200$ USD.

-Crom

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless you have to have ATi, the 8800GTX is better. Hell, the 8800GTS is on par with the 2900XT.

Outside of that, the setup looks good. I hear the P5N-E SLI is a tad picky with RAM, but that's been awhile since I read a review. I would think that Asus has done some BIOS updates to help, but you may want to have a few alternatives picked out for the RAM.

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hmm, best read some more reviews on the mobo then :eek:

About the HD2900XT, I have sold my 8800GTS and I have looked at benchmarks of the HD2900XT, and from some its waaayy higher than the 8800GTX, but yea I notice its lower than the 8800GTS in some things, but new drivers are out tommorow apparently so fingers crossed, I really hope these fix any problems with the HD2900XT coz I dont want to spend too much on an 8800GTX.

I have read allot of reviews on the HD2900XT and from reading some and talking to people who sold there 8800GTS for an HD2900XT, I aint sure what to choose.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The HD 2900XT isn't completely worthless, but it's nVidia competitor is available for less, and it still has the GTX to compete with. Additionally, it draws more power than the 8800GTX. Now, drivers should boost the performance a tad, but based on what I've picked up on the reviews, nVidia has the edge. Your money, and I think the reviews I read were looking for ATi to pull another 9700 out of the hat, but as it stands right now, nVidia offers more for your money.