Supplied paste vs separate paste in 3rd party CPU coolers

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by edijs, Oct 27, 2010.

1. edijs

edijs Programmer

Hey!

I am getting this for my i5.

Question is: how much of a difference would it make to buy a separate conductor paste and not use the one that comes with the cooler (in terms of temperature - how much of a bonus would I possibly get)?

2. hoax32

hoax32 Geek Trainee

For the i5 u probably should get some Ceramique or AS5.
    The pre applyed compound on the heatsink is OK but with AS5 u could get 2-3C lower! ;-)

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

Got it, installed it with the supplied paste and kapow! No shit - 17 degrees cooler (previously it hovered around 40C) than with the stock fan on idle and even cooler on full-out load (like 20C cooler). What a f*ckfest the stock HSF is on the new Core i# CPUs! Even without using a 3rd party thermal compound. And I had the feeling that I installed it wrong, cause it's a freakin' bit*h to get it fit into the clipping system of the LGA1156 socket - so imagine what if I used a AS5 paste and installed it dead on. It would cool down while playing games :D (that's a overstatement, of course, I mean, I am so surprised by the difference)

4. Karimbo

Karimbo Geek

Nice! I'm using stock cooler paste, it's not overclocked mind, maybe I'll get myself some AS5 as a late Christmas present.