Switching Hardrive on macbook pro 2011 *pleasee helpp*

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by fort, Oct 11, 2011.

1. fort

fort Geek Trainee

Hi guys,

I come here to seek advice, as i am not very knowledged in hardrives and stuff.

So, I have a 2011 15 inches macbook pro right, it came with a 7200 rpm hd, and i want to switch it for a ssd ( possibly owc mercury extreme, any other suggestions?). My question is, is it possible to transfer everything i have ( music, files, pictures, logic pro sounds and AudioUnits and everything i forgot) from my 7200 hardrive to my new ssd? Can i do that?

Thank you for your time!

2. tking0036

tking0036 Geek

you need a sata to usb to sata adapter to transfer the files: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
    You can also transfer the files to another computer if you have one and then transfer them to your new drive.
    You do realize that when you switch your hard disk you will have to reinstall your operating system right?

3. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

wow :rolleyes: second thread that I found with the same links.. sad :(

4. santaranger

santaranger Geek Trainee

The easiest way would be to backup your data (documents, media, app dmgs) using USB data storage, e.g. an external hard drive, and copy it back once you've installed your OS on the SSD. You could also use the Time Machine backup service for some stuff.

5. Mike K

Mike K Geek Trainee