System lock-up

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Exodus, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Exodus

Exodus Geek Trainee

in the past 2 days, my PC has been acting very strangly: about 5 times now, it has locked up entirely. this isn't a normal lock up either. not just a regular freeze.

you know how when you change the resolution or color settings, how it flickers to that black screen and then makes the changes? it'll do that on its own and once it comes back from doing the flickering, i've seen a couple different results: (1) just a black screen (2) the screen before crappy out but with colors messed up and (3) a whole bunch of multicolored lines going up and down the screen. all sharing the similar problem of locking up.

this happens in games, and also has happened with picture browsing and text based application use. my assumption is that something has happened to my video card. either the vram's gone whack, or its overheating (heatsink on it does still work, however). but, thats just my guess. anyone have their own idae on what the problem is?

i sure hope its some sort of software issue...

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

hmmm, that sounds like what happened to me just a few months back, my card was a gainward geforce ti4200, I assume you have the same? or something else! the problem you described is a known problem with the ti4200 not sure about other cards though!

it started to lock-up on me in games first, after 30 mins, slowly it started to lock-up during browsing etc, its def a video card problem!

3. Exodus

Exodus Geek Trainee

hmmm... well, in my case its an old geforce2 GTS. but thats the problem, eh? great... :(

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, if your card is fried up, the bright side is that you can replace the card for peanuts. However, before considering this I'd make sure it's not just a DLL that went south. Run the DXdiag tool and see if all the DX libraries are in place. If they are, you might wanna give Omegadrive's NVidia drivers a whirl.

P.S. - If it ends up being your card that's bad and you're really broke, I've got a pretty new GF2 with a good HS/F. I don't use it nor do I want it, so if you do I'll give it to you for cost of shipping.