System reset due to nv4_disp.dll

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by OS X-er, Jan 31, 2003.

1. OS X-er

OS X-er Geek Trainee

I have a major system crash problem and it’s all because of this one file: nv4_disp.dll .
    This file is causing my system to reset at any time, it could be fine for a whole 2 hours but then it can reset before I even get to windows welcome screen.
    Now I know the deal, get all the most recent drivers for the BIOS and XP etc, check power supply and check system temp. But I have done all that and this problem is still there!
    My system is as follows: MSI K7 226 Pro2 M/B, AMD Athalon XP 1800+, MSI Gf 3 Ti500, Windows XP Pro OS and all the little trimmings in-between.
    If anyone can help I would be very grateful. Thanks.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Change your video card drivers. The nVidia detonator drivers in the 2x.xx are about what you want, specifically in the lower range of them. I personally have had great luck with the 21.81's.

I've had that before. It may take some time to find the drivers that you like best, but do get some different drivers. The newest ones are for the GeForce 4 family and aren't as optimal for your video card. They will work fine in most cases, but I've found the ones targeted at the GeForce 4 aren't as good for the GeForce 3 cards.

3. OS X-er

OS X-er Geek Trainee

Seems the most logical explanation works best!

Seems the most logical explanation works best!
    I was running on 41.x drivers, so I will go back to 2x.x and work my way up from there. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that the crash was caused by "Nv4_disp.dll" clearly this file was written for Nvidia 4 and not Geforce 3.
    Thanks for the point in the right direction!