System Specs

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by syngod, Apr 11, 2002.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'm just in the process of building another pc so thought I'd repost this topic, just to see what other members of the community are using for their systems so post your specs here.

System I'm currently building, just waiting on the video card.

-AMD ATHLON XP 2000+
    -JMC ARCTIC BLAST CPU COOLER S370/462 4000RPM
    -SOLTEK SL-75DRV5 ATX KT333 SOCKET A DDR333 ATA133
    -2x CORSAIR PC2700 CAS2.5 256MB DDR CMX256A-2700C2 32MX8 W/ HEAT SPREADER
    -2x MAXTOR D740X-6L 80GB 7200RPM 8.5MS 2MB UDMA133
    -1.44 MB High Density Floppy Drive
    -LEADTEK WINFAST A250 ULTRA TD GEFORCE4 TI4600
    -LOGITECH CORDLESS FREEDOM OPTICAL KYBD 4BTN MOUSE
    -LIAN-LI ALUMINUM PC68 USB
    -SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY PLATINUM
    -LITEON 40X12X48
    -CREATIVE LABS INSPIRE 5.1 DIGITAL 5700
    -PIONEER 16X-40X DVD SLOT LOAD OEM ATAPI
    -KDS RAD5 15" TFT LCD DISPLAY

2. LyNeX

LyNeX Guest

I'd actually not get that Soltek, I had problems with it, and it wont boot with some HSF's.

Get the Epox 8K3A+, Its a nice board and is extremely fast. You don't need to get the + version, get the regular if you aren't going to be using Raid.

Now I waiting for Big B to come on here and think he knows everything. :rolleyes:

Oh, and get a different HSF, get a HCC-001, its a great cooler, I had no problems installing it and it cools like a pro.

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

Actually I've already got the system built except for the video card which I had to return because the first one I was sent was DOA.

Originally I was looking at an Epox board but it had a problem with the size of the GF4 cards so I decided against it and all the reviews I've read had said the Soltek was an ok card as long as you don't let it try and O/C itself, and since I don't overclock I figured it should be ok :D. (The Epox board I was looking at was the 266 model, not sure if the 333 baords have fixed the problems with the oversized vid card.)

For the fan I have a Vulcano 7+ but I found this HSF is a bit quieter so I decided to switch it with my 1600+ system.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

very nice, system specs syngod! I won't post my under spec system, details :rolleyes: I know if I was to get the latest spec system, I will start playing games on it, rather than doing my college work :rolleyes:

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Haven't played with Soltek before, but they have a little fan base. Let us know what you think! It's a nice powerful system to power that GF4.

Oh, and while I didn't have a GF4 handy to test it out, the Epox 8K3A (and the '+') version don't seem to have problems with refrence design GF4's.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Oh, but you don't understand, I do know everything. Bow to me, mwhahahahahahahahaha:blah:

7. syngod

syngod Moderator

BigB how are ati's drivers as of late? I haven't ordered the Leadtek card yet and I'm still debating between it or going with a Radeon 8500DV until NVIDA brings out their DX9 parts.

While I'm really leaning towards the GF4, if ati's drivers have been good as of late I might bide my time to see what NVDA releases in the fall and pick up the Radeon for now.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

From what I've seen, ATI has really done a nice job driver wise on their cards. Major improvements from where they used to be, which was in the gutter.

9. LyNeX

LyNeX Guest

I know the 8K7A+ had problems with my Leadtek GF4ti4600. Both graphical and space wise, got my 8K3a+ and had neither of them again. But just didn't get the difference I thought I would from my old ti500, so I got a ti200 (Sold my 500)

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, I have yet to hear about someone running into trouble with an 8K3A+ and the GF4's.